As a person diagnosed sza, does it bother you that I’m Here

Of course you are welcome! Thanks so much for being willing to be involved here.

1 Like

Thanks @Deborah
20 characters

How long did it take for you to get stable and or on a good medication?

2 Likes

I’d love to hear from you, I’m sure we’ll learn so much: for ex, what’s going on with cutting money or throwing it away, I appreciate your willingness to share with us your insight.

Í

1 Like

I’m actually told I’m delusional and hallucinating now. After switching to Haldol a year ago, the crows and bunnies stopped talking to me and foretelling the future. I also have relief from religious obsessions.

I’m being followed and recorded by these men and people they know. That has not stopped with any meds I’ve taken, including the long lasting injection meds. Since other things are gone, I think I really am being followed. Nothing makes it go away.

I have no idea why someone would cut or throw out money. It sounds like someone who is psychotic and not thinking clearly.

1 Like

Zannah,
Yes, my son has been on that behavior when he goes unmedicated; he doesn’t recognize it as a problem; it’s not only the money, he cuts his clothes, has threwn away a few phones after cracking the screen; last time recently he either threw away the laptop or gave it away. Each psychotic episode has been very expensive!!!

1 Like

That’s awful. I feel for you both. The only thing I can suggest is asking about putting him on a long lasting injection. Then you don’t have to worry about whether or not he’s taking his meds. Sometimes the injections have to be every 3 weeks, but usually it’s every 4 weeks

Hi Zannah,
I am curious how old you are?

I’m 44 years old.
20 characters

This sounds just like my son when he’s not medicated. He removed everything in side his car to bare metal and threw out everything in his house was sleeping on a board and made holes in the walls.

@Margi , your poor son is really suffering. That’s awful.

Zannah,
I’ve been talking with my daughter about her disability of Schizophrenia. I’m trying to understand what it is like for someone to deal with this mental struggle. Any thoughts on how you see reality differently, how you feel about the stigma of this diagnosis, how you deal with the medications and potential side effects, etc. Any insights you can give me is helpful to better understand this struggle but I know each one is different as well. I realize that anyone dealing with a mental illness has to have a lot of courage and strength to handle life as it comes. Keep hanging on.
Sincerely, Julie

1 Like

Hey Julie,
The hardest part about it for me is that I swear to you it’s as real as everything I am told is not a hallucination or delusion. Being told that is difficult and I’m ashamed that I have this problem and humiliated. I am always so scared too. I don’t feel safe ever. And I’ve ever been violent or mean. I hate how tv portrays people with sz, because while some are violent, most are not.

I get akithisia and uncontrolled movements from APs. But I’ve found benztropine helps that.

2 Likes

Zannah it sounds a lot like how my daughter feels. What is akithisia and AP? Are these feelings when you are dealing with psychosis only and not when on medication? This is difficult to handle and function in our world that misunderstands Schizophrenia. Yes, my daughter is not violent or usually mean. She was antagonistic in the hospital but I don’t remember that happening before and she is kind and gentle as I’m staying with her for a few weeks. She is also attending an outpatient program and has her own therapist. Thanks for your willingness to share and be honest. I think this is important for us as a family to understand how difficult this is for the one suffering. Julie

1 Like

Akithisia is a sensation that makes you feel like you have to be in constant motion. It’s awful. It’s like you want to jump out of your skin. The AP, also known as antipsychotic, causes it. So it goes on the whole time you’re treated.

I also often have trouble feeing like I have no motivation and poverty of thought. That’s caused by my antipsychotic as well, but some people experience that without the medicine too. When it’s not caused by meds, it’s considered a “negative” symptom of schizophrenia.

1 Like

Zannah,
This is not easy to deal with and certainly hard to function with those symptoms. I wish there was a better understanding of and medication for mental illness. You are a brave and courageous lady. Hugs.
Julie

1 Like

Thanks @Julie1. You’re so kind

So happy you are here. You have valuable experience and knowledge to share. We need more people like you to be involved.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks @Liz_K
20 characters