Ask A Schizophrenic

Oh, thank you so much for mentioning that. My daughter does shower fairly regularly, but she stays in there with the water running for maybe 45 minutes. Same with a bath, she will be in the bathroom for over an hour with lots of water running. I have sometimes asked her to hurry. I won’t do that again. I’d rather her be clean and enjoy getting a shower/bath than for me to scare or hurry her out of hygiene.

3 Likes

If you have to go, though, you have to go.

2 Likes

So true. You made me chuckle. :smile:

1 Like

ZombieMombie, thank you for starting this thread. I have several questions about what happens when someone is diagnosed with sz. I’ll start with these:

When you were first diagnosed, did your doctor tell you that the symptoms you had were not normal . . . not something that people without the disease experience?

Were you told that there is no cure for sz, only ways to manage it?

1 Like

@gardencat

Yes, my doctor told me my symptoms weren’t normal.

There is no cure for sz. Only managing through meds, but there is no cure.

Feel free to add more questions! :slight_smile:

A question -

What do you think about the affects, good or bad, of playing computer games?

My son played a lot of computer games when he was younger. He has recently started playing again. He seems to be enjoying them. I worry about the intensity of playing games.

1 Like

@Vallpen

Science confirms that video games improve mental function in people that have low cognitive function. It can also improve eye-hand coordination. They’ve been used in some nursing homes to help people

I have no problem with video games. Far more interactive than tv.

1 Like

I guess my concerns mostly come from the sci-fi aspect of the games he likes, since his delusions are still pretty strong.

@vallpen It is a question of living out a delusion in a safe manner: ie, video gaming or acting out a delusion in a real life situation, I guess.

@ZombieMombie I guess as long as he is enjoying it and it isnt triggering anything, I won’t worry about it. Thanks for your response.

Thanks, @Shmookitty

My next question is for someone who’s taken anti-psychotics, then stopped taking them and had psychosis again. At that point, while in psychosis, are you aware that you experienced the world differently in the past, while you were taking the meds? Are you capable of realizing that you may have been less afraid, more sociable, and more capable of coping with everyday life while on the medications?

@gardencat

I needed help to see it, but yes, i was aware that life was better on meds. These days I am so paranoid about missing my meds, but I never do. I use a pill container with the days of the week so i can easily see if I’ve taken them.

Recently, my pdoc and I decided to reduce my Haldol from 30 mg a day to 20, to see if I could handle the lower dose. It took six weeks, and I had three bad psychotic episodes, just on the decrease, not even quitting. I’m insistent about the 30 mg now and my pdoc has no problem prescribing it. I don’t even want to get to the point where I remember feeling better on my meds, I just want to keep taking them so I don’t fall apart again. I still get breakthrough voices once or twice a month on 30 mg of Haldol, but that beats every day!

1 Like

@Shmookitty

So glad the Haldol’s working for you. Sounds like you’ve got a decent doctor.

I’ve been reading Dr. Amador’s LEAP book, which got me wondering if a person in psychosis could remember feeling different (better) on meds . . . maybe she would consider that a good enough reason to start taking them again. Even though she knows nothing is wrong with her.

How can I communicate with an unwell family member who’s isolating themselves for last two years locking themselves in their room and not talking to anyone? I’m very worried, I tried and nothing worked so far, any ideas please

@Love_Hope

I’m sorry about your sister. I’m not qualified to guess on why she is isolating. I wish I had an answer for this other than keep trying. Even when we isolate Some of us remember who checked in on us.

3 Likes

Your situation is exactly the same with my 46-year-old son with paranoid SZ. Court-ordered daily medication.

I gently remind him how well he is when on the meds. And remind him that it is a goal never to go to jail or the psych hospital again.

When he goes off meds he always ends up in jail/ hospital.

He calms down after a day or so.

My heart breaks for the struggles they have.

from Vermont,

maple woman​:jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

@ZombieMombie thank you so much, I hope she remembers the love, always. I appreciate you and appreciate your kind prompt response and great support and insight. Thank you so much

2 Likes

My son when in Pychiosis had very awful delusions about our friends and some of his friends too. An example is he said our friend and his daughter were herion dealers and were trying to get us all on herion. It was not at all true and we really have a hard time believing he even thought this. I guess my question is and I understan$ if you can’t answer, but now that he’s out of pychiosis and stable on medication does he still feel these delusions are still real, or does reality come back. Thanks

Hope you don’t mind another question, My son when in Pychiosis had very awful delusions about our friends and some of his friends too. An example is he said our friend and his daughter were herion dealers and were trying to get us all on herion. It was not at all true and we really have a hard time believing he even thought this. I guess my question is and I understan$ if you can’t answer, but now that he’s out of pychiosis and stable on medication does he still feel these delusions are still real, or does reality come back. Thanks

@Rinda Honestly, I don’t know. I am stable on medication and still suffer from delusions. That doesn’t mean your son does though. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.