Bacteria in the gut and its affect on the brain

Has anyone her studied the bacteria in the gut and its affect .on the brain. I understand that 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. Only 10% is produced in the brain.

I’d like to know what foods beside yogurt help build good gut bacteria.

2 Likes

I think this is the theory behind that very specific antibiotic helping some people with SZ.

I mentioned it to our family doctor & she said she was willing to read the study if I brought it in, then test him for the bacteria they were talking about.

But, there is a huge stomach/brain connection.

There’s another thread on here somewhere about pro-biotics and people were mentioning that besides yogurt, other fermented foods like Kimchi, saurkraut and kombucha teas were good for you. It expanded our horizons a little bit. My son found out he likes Kimchi and kombucha - me, not so much. I was a little surprised the saurkraut wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

2 Likes

Yes, raw Kimchi and sauerkraut are great sources of good bacteria. My Grandparents on my Mom’s side of the family have a small farm nearby us and they bring us raw milk kefir, but you don’t need raw milk to make kefir, you just need the kefir “grains” which are what really make the milk into kefir. It’s full of good bacteria. You can find the kefir “grains” (they’re not really grains) on amazon.

2 Likes

Thanks, Hopefully my taste buds have changed. I’ve not tried kimchi but sounds interesting.

Kimchi is just a little too spicy for me.
My son likes his food practically on fire, so he liked it better.
Now & then, he’ll go get some straight out the jar, but I’ve read that traditionally, you just have some with a meal, almost like a condiment or relish.

I got the first jar at Fresh Market - they had spicy & regular.
Then, I got some at Walmart in the produce section - it was cheaper and he said it was just about as good.

We have one of those big Grand Mart international markets here. Someone told me ours has pretty good homemade Kimchi, so maybe I’ll get some next time I’m there.

He’s a much more adventurous eater than I am. He’ll at least try most things.
For me, if it looks funny or smells funny, I may not even try it.

1 Like

Fermented foods are an excellent source of good probiotics but there is more to the story. An excellent book which I have explains and wide reaching effects of gut bacteria and offers advice about specific foods and supplements. I believe it is significant for both mental and physical health. Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316380105/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qYgVzb7C36VJ7

1 Like

Also you can search microbiome for more information.

Thank you. I just ordered it.