Dominant Bacteria In Schizophrenia Biome as Natural Remedy for Relief or Healing

… Calling Wise Community and Researchers …
Current research (that I can find) on the microbiome (gut bugs) of schizophrenia patients reveals bad bugs are dominant in their microbiome. Okay, we all might have guessed that. Also, the research I have been able to find, does show studies with “good gut bugs” in patients via supplemented probiotics. What I am referring to is a greater colonization of “good gut bugs” in schizophrenia patients to knock those “bad gut bug gangsters” off the block. For those of you with much knowledge here… you may be thinking, have they done full fecal transplants healthy to schizophrenia biomomes? (sounds gross - not that bad and for relief of suffering we’d all do it!)

Dr. William Davis work (Wheat Belly and Gut Fix) highlights natural/therapeutic repopulation of the “good guy bugs” into your microbiome for various positive health benefits, many mental, with the delivery method being slightly longer than normal ferment times of homemade yogurt/kefir. Does anyone have knowledge on actively altering the gut and/or oral microbiome of schizophrenia patients by recolonizing “good bacteria” kicking the bad bacteria out? Thus, causing the body to heal itself by modulating the dopamine/serotonin naturally for relief of symptoms and dare I say healing? Dr. Davis recommends L. reuteri strain for it’s positive qualities more social, more empathy, etc. But I would propose (a separate ferment batch) a longer ferment time on like a Lifeway Kefir (plain must be plain) for all the wonderful strains it has. BTW if you are new to all this - the daily yogurt portion for starting is about 1/2 cup of each ferment - the body needs time to “turn over” and if you do a fast “turn over” it causes flu like symptoms … kind of like a few cocktails feels good but to many in one night doesn’t feel good !!! Just so you hear me; a little is very good a lot too fast is not good… Also, this would appear to apply to autistic patients as well - the best part of this is that it’s natural. Either this is too new a concept or it doesn’t have money making potential versus current antipsychotics to investigate further.
We have a 23 daughter newly diagnosed and are in the same boat as many of you precious people - she has anosognosia (won’t take meds but will eat some yogurt) and we are using the LEAP method to patiently work with her. diagnosis: schizophrenia with catatonia and eating disorder unspecified. Last hospitalization she the told doctor she was not swallowing the Abilify we were watching her take during mealtime. We can see how hard she is trying, it’s not her fault but it’s painful for us to see her be a prisoner of her mind and extreme isolation, knowing the meds. would allow some life function. She resists meds./therapy but in the end she might accept diagnosis or she might accept meds if she understands the trade off is pysch hospital, which she did not like. It’s very hard for us as we have to work through delusions and she is a flight risk so sleepless nights - but “I’m preaching to the choir” as they say…

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t have anything to add/help but I find your research and ideas interesting. I think I will also look into this. Sorry about your circumstances with your daughter, hope your daughter gets some relief from this. I’m finding my daughter doesn’t really get a lot of help from the medications. It just calms her and makes her more manageable. Less chaotic. If you find more info please post of if you find its working for her. Thank you

1 Like

Hi.
Sorry to hear about your daughter. We too, have a son who is 22 and newly diagnosed ( well, 2 years now). He is struggling right now on his meds, which we thought were working for a while. And, I, am wondering if he is taking them, although, I am watching him take them every night. It seems like they are losing effectiveness. I will look into the gut “good guy bugs”. I did just hear about a book, actually, a series of books called “The Medical Medium”. In pre-reading a bit online, the book seems to go into great detail on how to heal the body with foods. As soon as I get to get into it, I am hoping to make some lifestyle changes for my whole family to help us and our son with SZ.
As a note to you, I. remember that for the first 18 months or so, my husband and I traded nights sleeping downstairs on the couch, just to make sure our son was safe. That has gotten better and I think it is because we, over time, have shown to him that he can trust us completely and knows we will do our best to help him, even if his is saying we are not his real family, etc. (even though we are). The LEAP method is also very good, thought sometimes, I have to say, I am overcome with emotion hearing his stories. Hang in there and thank you for the gut bug info.

1 Like