Burnout in caregivers of patients with schizophrenia

Perhaps of interest:

RESULTS:

The burnout profile of the caregivers was highly correlated with the perceived social support of the caregivers and was also correlated with negative symptoms of the patients. Lower perceived social support was related to all subscales of the Maslach Burnout Inventory.

CONCLUSION:

Perceived social support is a major factor for caregiver burnout and it was highly correlated with all subscales in our study. We think that having social support provides caregivers with better feelings and so they provide better help to the patients. Appropriate approaches should be taken to intervene in the social and clinical factors that may exacerbate the burnout process.

Source:

Yeah they should have support for all stressful jobs like the law enforcement does.

I agree!
Burnout aside, there comes a point when you dont have the answers anymore...or theres nothing more you can do. Not a good place to be!

Yep even the helpers need help sometimes.

I totally agree…Im anxiety ridden and so stressed even though my father is in good care right now. My mom who he lives with is more calm than me it seems. But she def gets tired and gets to a point where she just doesn’t know what to do.

I agree too Kamy. I’m so stressed at the moment I’m going to hospitalize myself, once I can get my son into care and that’s proving to be not as easy as it sounds. The whole mental health sector is a minefield and who taught us to live with a psychotic loved one? No one sure taught me what to do! Although I’m crying out everyday, no one seems to be able to help because my son doesn’t want it.Does that even seem right when he is ‘raving mad’ at the moment? Does it ever get easier? I don’t know how much more of this whole fiasco I can take. Oh course, I will carry on fighting for him but I’m stressed, anxious, depressed and really, really tired!

Thanksszcom…I guess the only thing we can do is take it day by day cause honestly I personally don’t know what else there is. I would like to check out NAMI for my family…maybe you should too :slight_smile: This site though makes me feel better knowing I’m not alone. It helps to speak with everyone and listen as well

I couldn’t find any forums on the NAMI website. I don’t have an i-pad, smart phone or any other piece of civilized equipment but I’d love to talk and listen to more people

I sometimes have this burnout when caring for my husband with epilepsy, when he has a lot of seizures it can make my sz or depression flare up as well. Not good!

I am completly burned out and depressed. There seem to be no support or help here in South Carolina. Even NAMI isnt much help. My son needs support and help getting into a group home. I have been dealing with this for 24 yrs. This has cost me my life. I am about to give up.

I also struggle to get help for my son, I’m at the end of my tether but it’s amazing how we just seem to keep going on. This website is my only regular support. It’s such a hard road. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.

Thank you for your reply. It is good to hear from someone who understands the struggle. I don’t know how much longer I will make it.