Can our son with schizoaffective disorder take an antidepressant?

I’m inclined to agree with @Mojoclay here, I didn’t notice he was also on depakote which is a mood stablizer. I have never been on a mood stablizer and an AP at the same time, nor has my father. I also have never taken injectable AP medication of any kind.

A little googling confirms general concern for SSRIs for people with bipolar disorders and their dubious value when a mood stablilizer is in play. The article also goes on to say that they still may be prescribed in some circumstance which confirms what I always say, laymen are not qualifiied to make these decisions.

Studies also have shown that they may not provide additional benefit for bipolar depression if they’re are taken along with a mood stabilizer such as lithium or Depakote. Nevertheless, your doctor may prescribe newer antidepressants known as SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) for treating depression in bipolar disorder – along with lithium or other mood stabilizing drugs such as valproate, carbamazepine or an atypical antipsychotic.

1 Like