Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Caregiver assisted home-based cognitive remediation for individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia: A pilot study

3 Likes

Hmmmm, this article is a bit beyond my ability to easily assimilate. Does this mean there is some program I can do at home to help my daughter? I couldn’t find a link to suggested remedies.

1 Like

Full article for those interested.

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.ajp.2019.03.010

1 Like

From what I read this was a study that was done on the subject that came up with favorable results and does not suggest that these programs are currently being used in the United States as a regular therapy. I did a search to see if I could find any and I could not find any -other than programs for people with either brain injuries or brain tumors but not specifically for people with schizophrenia. I did find a few books that might teach a caregiver ways to help the person they care for. I would not expect the answer to be just reading a book but I have always thought that information is power. Here is one book I found on the topic and there are several others.

3 Likes

However if they are seen to be helpful in other countries that increases the impetus to use them in the USA.

2 Likes

I hope it comes to the USA. It would be invaluable. Good information, thanks!

0 Likes

Why is it always up to the primary caregiver? How about community based support services that provide cognitive remediation?

3 Likes