Fear of schizophrenia

Have you ever tried to get him seen during these episodes? I realize he is terrifying and he is your son, but moments where he is willing to violate your physical safety are strong grounds to get him into long term supportive care. Being physical terrified for your wellbeing (as opposed to being mad about injury to personal property) is a valid concern, as is a right to record with some sort of camera. So long as you own the permeases, installing a camera outdoors in an area that you cannot reasonable expect privacy, is protected in all states.

Greetings @Wederington034985, While these moments were terrifying, we were fortunate that the closest our son got to violence was chucking a landscaping rock towards me on his worst night. The rock was granite and I was inside (he saw my phone’s light when I was calling 911) - because of its weight his throw didn’t make it to the glass in the door. We did call for help, he retreated to his apartment when the sheriff’s deputy arrived. He didn’t answer the door to the deputy, we were given a talk about how to evict him. We did have cameras outside that would also audio record him when he was close to our house, he never threatened verbally to harm us. Mainly he was yelling at us to leave him alone. When he did move out we found all kinds of earplugs he had used in his attempt to stop the voices. He has always blamed his “voices” on whoever is closest to him.

That night was the peak of his psychosis years, after that he moved and did much better on his own away from us. His dad triggers his psychosis, being away from home helped a good deal. We learned over time that he needed to move every couple of years. As soon as he began talking about a neighbor harassing him, we would move him.

After moving out, he successfully worked part-time as a driver. No work issues because it was different people each time.

When my son became seriously ill 3 years ago with another issue, he reached out for help. He let me help him and currently I live with him taking care of him.

Forced meds would never have happened with my son. He would have needed the Invega shot, he has the symptom anosognosia. My son has maintained his cognition and took meds twice a day for another medical condition. We tried for the recordings as a hope that could sway a judge. He is pretty much the poster boy for people having the right to not be medicated.

i’m sorry your brother is still a risk to your family. life is so difficult when that is a problem. families have a right to be safe, sadly we have to work it out for ourselves.

1 Like