Feeling sad tonight

I am so sorry! I am sending prayers.

1 Like

He agreed to go to the psych ward- he agreed to figure out his meds then go to 30 day rehab… fingers crossed

5 Likes

So glad he made it out of ICU and is agreeing to go to the psych ward…fingers crossed here as well.

1 Like

Wonderful news :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

This describes my mums existence exactly
Very well put and insightful

1 Like

He agreed to go to 30 day rehab at a place that does dual diagnosis clients. He will not talk to me and is very angry but is doing all the right things - so I am hopeful…

5 Likes

I understand exactly how you feel. I look at pictures of my daughter when she was happy and full of life and promise and now I see how much this awful illness has stolen from her. Her life is more like an existence. It is a constant heartache isn’t it.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry @Jeanette. Please give an update when you can.

1 Like

He is in rehab- and During this first 2 weeks of the 30 days he is not allowed outside contact. I don’t know if he will talk to us in 9 days- or agree to a family session. He is really mad But I am sleeping well cuz he is safe and getting tons of aa program all day. Praying

2 Likes

This email came to me. My name is also Jeanette who has a schizophrenic son. He has been living with us for seven years. Has anosgosia. Has never been diagnosed. He is mean most days. Thinks he is a king and won’t get a job until the woman if his dreams shows up and tells him to get a job. He is very argumentative and says hurtful things to me. I am drinking vodka now instead of wine just to deal with him.

1 Like

Wow I am sorry to hear what you are going through-maybe I am
Lucky that my son is an alcoholic- it forces him into a system for 30 days with social workers therapists and drug counseling in patient. That is where he got diagnosed 5 years ago. This last time his blood alcohol level was 5xs the legal limit and he was unresponsive.

1 Like

Thank you, and I’m so sorry I haven’t responded to you directly before this. I’ve actually not been a good friend to some of my best friends by not responding, not participating in life. I think the pandemic has really done something to my soul and along with the tragedy of this horrid medical crisis, there is always, always, always the specter of serious mental illness and so many of my days are consumed with thoughts of my son and what kind of life he has. It could be worse. I know this. He could be homeless or incarcerated or dead! He has mainly negative symptoms, which as you correctly state, really are the core of schizophrenia. The most debilitating as there is virtually no treatment for negative symptoms which is why my son is totally disabled, receiving social security and medicare (I have neither) and he’s only 33! Schizophrenia is sad. It’s just fu**ing sad!! I have almost completely ignored FB because of the politics, and also just avoiding everything. I just want to be happy again. I’ll look for you on FB.

Thank you, Carroll.
2 Likes

It is constant, yes. It’s so hard to even look at pictures of him at say age four, then age ten playing with friends, thoughts of him as a smiling baby, a beautiful happy child. I can’t accept he will be so alone! Whyyyy??? :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Sorry I took so long to reply - just saw this. Like you the pandemic thing, Trying to help my son stop running away from the place he is right now but I don’t blame him because the pandemic has really completely isolated them I was so happy to get him in a place like Sheppard Pratt in Towson Maryland but then the pandemic hit and everything went to hell in a handbasket and all the programs partially stopped including Job training. Finally my son did get a job at Safeway but it was too overwhelming because it hasn’t worked in so long and he end up getting let go because he wasn’t showing up. And then I separated from my husband in October and lost my job couple weeks ago. So… I would love to get in touch with you - To be a friend to one another and to support each other. I hope you see this soon. Not sure if you tried to look for me on Facebook or not or if you sent me a friend request and I didn’t see it. I’m in between numbers right now because I lost my phone and I’m trying to get my old number back. But you can reach me by email at carrollmyra@gmail.com. Sorry for the lack of punctuation I was doing talk to text while walking my unruly dog. I hope we can connect. My phone # is 572-278-4564.
-Carroll

1 Like

Hey- get in touch with me. You can find me on Facebook at Carroll Carr- James.My profile on my personal page is with me in a pink head scarf.

1 Like

I feel your pain, your heartbreak. It is so hard to look at photos, watch videos of their former selves. I wish it weren’t so hard to remember how they were with fondness and gratitude that I was able to spend the time I did with him during these happy years. I only feel sorrow at this point. I am trying so hard to move beyond this - to be hopeful for his future and truly believe good things are coming his way. Do you want to exchange numbers?

2 Likes

My number is actually 571- 278-4564. Call or text me :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry your going through this. What a terrible disease. My son is talking about going off his meds because it’s poison. My husband passed away in Feb. The only family I have left is my 93 year old mother and a sister who wants nothing to do with my son she can be very cruel
You said: A mother is only as happy as her child. This is so true.
Margi

3 Likes

A year later, nothing different here, but I’m reading through this thread again. I could put quotes around your words and call them mine. You mentioned the negative symptoms as being the most debilitating aspect of this illness, and that is true! My son suffers from every single one of them. He’s med compliant, so he isn’t overtly psychotic, but sadly there isn’t a medication for these heartbreaking symptoms. And the general public, or really anyone who isn’t in our world are unaware of this side of schizophrenia, as I’m sure you know, and try explaining it to people.

Your words are exactly mine! Part of this illness, the negative symptoms, are really the core of it. We know this because long before the first antipsychotic came out, there were these negative symptoms. The medications do have side effects, not like they used to, and they cause some of the lethargy, but basically, it’s the illness, and our kids can’t help it. I hate that people who know nothing about us think this is laziness!