Grasping for help

hope4us–

During the second hospitalization they told her she either went on the Invega shot voluntarily or they would go to court to get it mandated. She eventually agreed.

At the same time we were seeking temporary (we did get permanent eventually) guardianship which we got. She was given the initial shots and then discharged to us. The day she came home she had a tantrum and started trashing our home. We called police who came and talked to her. The next three months were still rough but she was sleeping a lot which minimized problems. The longer she was on the shot the more normalized she became. We made it very clear that we would take what ever action was necessary to get the shot administered. She was also on probation for one year because we had her arrested for stealing from us (minor value but the act was still illegal). After a year of good behavior the whole issue would disappear and she would have no record. That was also a big motivator for her too. Her whole recovery hinged on the monthly Invega Sustenna shot…which virtually eliminated the Anosognosia. Even now she doesn’t like the shot but we have told her we will always advocate on her behalf and we have along with her doctor methodically reduced the dosage down twice. We constantly reinforce her current success in life is due to the shot and her illness is lifelong. She is now currently working a good job and a productive contributing person. She cares about friends, family and co-workers.

@NeverTooLate Can I “like” this a dozen times? This is what I think so many people so desperately need to hear! And it wasn’t just the shot that worked for your daughter. It was your diligence to establish and keep boundaries that helped to keep her on the med! And she understood that you were serious but she could trust you and know that you were pulling for her! I’d love to see you re-post this as a helpful topic of what CAN WORK! Thank you for this encouraging story! We have hope!!

Yep. It was critical to make it clear to my son that this one thing - med compliance - was non-negotiable. I provide him a comfortable place to live, good food to eat, and some extras to make his life pleasant. He must stay on his meds.

I took the family to family 12 week course and it changed my life. I didn’t feel alone anymore and gave so much useful information. I also get the NAMI email newsletters from areas I live around. Q

How are you @Blackbird23 ? You haven’t been here for a few weeks. Has the hospital helped your loved one?

Yes, @Butterfly NAMI really came through for me in a dire emotional time. I felt lost however when the 12 week course ended as everyone went their separate ways, and didn’t even come much back to the support groups. The last support group I went to, the meeting was cancelled without notice, and the few of us who showed up stayed and talked to each other. I needed to talk face to face that night with someone who understood where I was.