Grieving my childhood

Update more on me, Unfortunately, I did not get financial aid from the Ph.D program that I got admission. I’ve been emailing Professors for funding and looking for jobs too on the side from my home country. I’ve been on my computer for 10+ hours emailing, searching for information.

My Dad has been busy with house-hold chores. I’ve not been able to take my mind off from my next step in my life.

More updates from me: I’ve been emailing labs and Professors. Applying to Jobs too in my home country

Updates from me May 2nd, home country:
Got one interview from a Professor in U.S. He said, He’d have to talk with another Professor on how thing would work out. I’m from Computer Science background, he does Oceanography. He has a position in his lab.
I’ll be getting interview from KAUST, It’s in Middle East but focused on research and Professors are from MIT, Stanford.
I’ve been appreciating quality time with my Dad.

Okay, one thing that I have on my mind is that in U.S for Indians/Chinese, there seems to be no straightforward way to immigrate sigh! if I do Ph.D in U.S.

Keep seeking ways to make your goals possible. You won’t regret having been persistent, especially if it’s something you are this passionate about!

I’m not much help with doctorate programs or immigration. But, from what I understand, these things ebb and flow in difficulty to apply and gain approval.
One year, the United States in general might not see a need for foreign PhD holders in the workforce. The next, those people might be in desperate demand.
We are a country very much effected by our industry and the people who make it happen.
Keep your applications for citizenship active.
Keep pressing for a PhD program.
Eventually, there will be a need for someone just like you and the hurdles will begin to clear themselves up.

I’ve met more people than I can remember who have mentioned the long application process and waiting periods for education and citizenship (or even just a visa). 10 years is not an uncommon length of time to wait for citizenship, several years for a visa. Depending upon the era and the current talents of the workforce, there can be extremely long queues of people waiting to be approved for similar things.
But, from my own experience with work in the US; it’s just a matter of time before the right person needs someone just like you. Tenacious, motivated, intelligent. It’s important that you make yourself ready for just such an opportunity, to keep seeking it out. I spent 5 years searching for the right job after my active duty military contract was complete and I earned my honorable discharge. 5 years of struggling to pay bills! It was very frustrating.
But I didn’t give up. I pushed hard at work and education until I finally was able to get a call back from the company I wanted to work for.
After that, life became a rush of hard work, promotions and job changes to keep seeking bigger influence and more job security.
It was worth those 5 years of struggle because I knew the opportunity was out there. I just needed to keep trying until the industry (and the workforce) changed enough that they would need me as much as I needed them.

Thanks. I am trying, I have couple of Ph.D interviews coming up for it. The first one that I had asked me if I could switch to Ocean Instrumentation from CS Ph.D. I wasn’t sure of career path. I’ll have to figure out exactly. I’ve been feeling happy at home, having meals with Dad. I am going to tell my Dad that I love him in person. It sounds a bit girly. As a Man, It’s not natural but I wish to do that soon.

I saw my brother, sis-in-law and niece. I felt happy

I’ll be seeing my Mom soon.

On Immigration, It’s possible to get EB1 Visa through Ph.D, but it’s incredibly hard for Chinese and Indian nationals. Rest of the world, it’s easier.

I’d definitely encourage you to tell your Dad you love him. In fact, tell everyone in your family that you care about them!
There is nothing girly about it.
I tell my parents that I love them every time we talk. I’ve been all over the world and I’ve worked with some of the most hardcore people on the planet, from the richest of the rich to the real natural born killers. I think what makes a man is his confidence in his own decisions and awareness of his own thoughts and emotions. With that comes the awareness that expressing approval and affection is the right thing to do when -you- think it is (no matter what anyone else thinks).
What makes a wimp is someone who fears damaging their carefully crafted persona by letting their true nature show.

Anyway,
You seem to have a really clear vision of the things you need and how you want things to be.
Maybe Ocean Instrumentation could open up a variety of new opportunities, maybe it would restrict the number of jobs you’d qualify for. I don’t know.
Seems like you have a little research to do on that topic.

My Dad just left to another town to visit his friend. I had an Interview for Ph.D in Information Science at U of Arkansas. I received an offer. I had another interview at Fed Bank in my country. Fed bank is the top bank and does research, they have it for 6 months - 2 years, I can’t become permanent. Now, I am waiting for Canadian Prof to respond next week, if I get into her lab, I’d go for it because I can manage immigrating and getting a Ph.D, becoming a Professor. It’s been hard making this decision myself.
I could go with the Arkansas offer, but I am not sure about it.

Seems like you do have a lot of options.
It’s a good thing that your big challenge seems to be choosing one of a set of great opportunities.
Focus on what is most important to you.
If you aren’t sure, consider what outcomes are worst case scenario. Then make choices based on getting what you want and avoiding what’s worst.

I arrived last midnight to this city in my home country. I came from my home, about 10 hours away.
I’ll be here for another 10 days - 15 days.

My Mom is staying here with my brother who goes to school for Cardiology. I saw my Mom this morning, I felt sad. She has aged a lot. I felt that time is fleeing. I love my Mom regardless of her schizophrenia.

I came with my brother. My Brother is focused on his exam for cardiologist. I arrived last midnight.

I had interviewed with a Canadian Prof for Ph.D program, she was happy and asked me good questions. She asked me to write a research proposal. Now, I think, she was willing to take me as a student. She does Ph.D in Software Engineering. I have background in SE for Master’s already.

Canadian Prof: So you want to come to Canada?
Me: Yes

I come from Asian culture. Family dynamics is opposite to the West.

Now – I have a Ph.D offer from U of Arkansas for Ph.D in Information Science, tuition waiver and some decent stipend for a living. Stipend is low, but I can manage as Arkansas is cheaper to live.

Arkansas:

Pros:
a) I know how it works in the U.S. I know the system, I have confidence that I can finish this program
b) I will have social support, this is important because as an new person in new town
c) I could likely to get married to someone who wants to do higher education in America (or) someone in U.S too
(Asian culture, I can’t break the way my culture follows, we think to do the right thing at the right time)
d) Maybe immigration might change in America? (I never know)
e) I love books, reading and would give me a chance to get back into what I really love and enjoy
f) I would get a chance to become Scholar, have opportunities to be around books and libraries, perhaps even careers that have access to books. Books bring joy and happiness to me
g) I can start this Fall

Cons/Fear:

a) I live another 5 years in U.S as a Ph.D student, but no process or advancement in citizenship
(This shouldn’t be a concern but I want to move and advance in life)

b) Research topic seems simple and not complicated, Social Computing.

Canadian Ph.D:

Cons:

a) Need to wait for a month at least for an offer.
b) Not sure about tuition waiver yet

Pros:

a) Highly possible to get Canadian PR/Citizenship at the end of my Ph.D program.
b) Research topic seems to intersect cultural upbringings and impact in software products, I have the knowledge/content already in my head to contribute right away.
c) As I am a citizen of an Asian country, it’s not good to hold Asian passport
No fear of immigration, 95% I’ll become a PR resident and gain Canadian Citizenship
d) Can sponsor Dad/Mom/Bro to come visit Canada/live there
e) Could gain better jobs abroad due to Canadian PR/Citizenship

My thoughts – From people around me, they have no idea about U.S/Canada. One Professor suggested to go for what I like or desire. I desire to work on solving Water problem with another prof, but he doesn’t have funding – what can I do? That problem is a basic human necessity. Gosh, if I had some free time, I would sit and solve it.

I can’t wait for another year and waste time for the professor working on Water problem.

Thoughts?

I feel happy with my decision to leave U.S and come spend time with my Dad, Brother, Mom. I left my Job, which would sound foolish but I wanted to do what was right. I had a Ph.D offer in hand, and knew I could take a risk to come to my home country in Asia.

I couldn’t believe that I didn’t have reverse culture shock, It’s probably because I didn’t have lot of expectations. My purpose was to spend time with Dad. I think also that I am like a visitor that I don’t feel the pressure. I haven’t really lived life here in Asia, but spending time with Dad,Bro/Mom. That might be a reason why I don’t feel the pressure.
Live Life = Get Job, do day/day task

Good list of pros and cons!
Looks like the U.S. versus Canada question is a challenge, but they both seem like good options long term.
Short term, Arkansas is already offering a stipend which might make life very comfortable if you can combine that with some part time work while you study.

Knowing nothing at all about the differences in each degree focus…
Personally, I’d take the promised stipend as long as it can pay for groceries (or better, housing). Assuming you could earn that degree and then apply for citizenship in any country you like after. But that’s just my own perspective.

Regarding working toward a worthy cause, get yourself set up with a stable career and financial future, then focus on the greater good after. The world’s biggest problems won’t be solved in short order, and they will take more than any one person can give.

Glad that visiting your home has felt relatively easy as far as culture change. Seems like you have your expectations and goals clearly defined.
Your brother seems to be on a similar education path that you are. Might be a good idea to ask him for his thoughts on your plans, if you haven’t already discussed it.

Thanks for listening to my story. I like how you put immediate goals or short-term goals vs long-term goals. I am going to go with Arkansas offer and then try Canadian PR. You are absolutely correct with promised stipend. I liked your thought on greater good too. I saw I could rent a room for $200-$400 in Arkansas

I accepted the Ph.D offer from Arkansas last night. I looked up career paths like Information Scientist for the Ph.D that I’d be gaining. I love research, writing and being curious.

I spent time with my Mom, however she could not have meaningful conversation with me. It’s alright, I expressed my love to her. I am still in the bigger city of my state, about 10 hours from my home.

I am meeting some friends in this city, visiting libraries (books make me happy) I am excited to visit libraries.

1 Like

My Brother is in healthcare (cardiology) He does not have much idea about academics in the West.

It’s good to hear about someone making good choices and trying to have a positive impact!
Glad you were able to decide on an option.

I hope things keep going well for you. I’m sure your family really does appreciate that you took a break from study to visit. I bet they are very proud, too!

There are always conflicting needs between a sense of belonging, family and your own measure of success (as you personally define it). But, you seem to have balanced things out well.
You won’t regret being there to tell family how important they are. You also won’t regret continuing to pursue your goals!
Don’t worry so much about the rest of the world and it’s people, we will be here with our own problems any time you feel ready to make sacrifices toward the cause!

Thanks for listening to my story again here! Let’s see, to review my thoughts:

Jan - Feb: I wanted to spend time with family. I had a sense that I won’t be able to make it home until I make some move in my career

March – I decide to quit my Job in America ( I felt bold after I got a Ph.D offer) Job was dull, I didn’t see my life doing low-level programming and being stuck in immigration. No matter how hard I worked, my immigration status won’t change, the programming job didn’t mean much to me.

April – Packing, paperwork, selling my car, visiting friends in America. This was difficult doing all by myself in a new place
April 15 - April 21 - Jet Lag, My landing in my home country, seeing my Dad. I felt extremely happy. I couldn’t measure the happiness spending two weeks having meals with my Dad.
Although my Dad wasn’t pleased with me quitting my job.
April 20 – I came home and found that I won’t get funding for my Ph.D at my previous university, I didn’t panic or was nervous. I felt safe because I was at home in my own country. I could pull off anything in my home country.
April 21 - May 1 - Sent more emails to Profs about joining for Ph.D
April 26 - Considered applying for jobs in home country, applied for many jobs
May 1 - Got a call at a premier institution for Research internship, they asked if I’d join.
May 6 - Interview for U of Arkansas (Two Ph.D students interviewed me)
May 7 - I get offer for Ph.D
May 13 - Canadian Prof interviews me (Asks me to write a research proposal)
May 15 - I accept the Offer

Summary – I felt happy being with my Dad, seeing my Mom and Brother. I didn’t care what they thought, but I wanted to be feel internally happy before I step out again.

Wow, seriously terrible lunch with your boss!
I’ve had a lot of similar experiences at work. Don’t let it bother you, because people like that don’t deserve your thoughts and they sure as heck don’t deserve your hard work!
There is always another job out there!

Anyway, that seeks like a whirlwind of stress and adventure. I think you are absolutely right about feeling right inside before throwing yourself back out there for work and school. Things can slowly wear down your confidence and your view of yourself over time. It can be hard to remember that you’re a valuable person sometimes.
Personally, I try to remind myself often that I am a good person and my time and effort are very valuable. Anyone who doesn’t agree is either mistaken about who I am, or they are a fool!

Oh you did? He came of good and nice at first. Later, he turned into a monster. Yes, the CEO and my last boss, yelling in front of everyone. If It was in my home country, I would have yelled back and protected my own self. I still have some anger inside me but as a Christian, I forgive and can’t take revenge.

I wonder how Americans handle? People with power can do anything they want, sigh!

May 22, 2019: More updates from me.

Last Friday, I submitted documents for application to U of Arkansas. I have one recommendation letter waiting, transcript waiting, GRE waiver waiting. I’m hoping this should be done in another few days.
I visited libraries in my home country here. I must admit there’s a lot of people in Asia. I’m aiming to go back to my house after 10 days. Once the department accepts me and issues the official letter, I’d have one or two more step to go. In the meantime, I interviewed with another Professor at Col State doing Digital Agriculture. He seemed to do complex and incredible research.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed, it should go fine with Arkansas. I visited the library here in this city.

I think you did exactly the right thing regarding the CEO and boss who insulted you. There is nothing to regret in leaving a work place where public humiliation is acceptable. Also, don’t worry about getting back at them with revenge, people who act that way make their own lives plenty miserable.

Congratulations on having the next step planned and moving! Seems like you have plenty of opportunities to chase that PhD goal!