Has anyone noticed their loved one sometimes becoming worse with Haliperdol shot?

My son usually does quite well with the Haliperdol injection keeping his schizophrenia stable and keeping psychotic symptoms at bay. However, every now and then he becomes psychotic immediately after receiving his shot. His doctor seems to think this is just a fluke of timing (he does experience psychosis from time to time, though usually as an annual relapse sometime around Jan-Feb), but it has happened at least three times immediately after his shot leaving me to believe there could be a problem of vaccine storage or a change in provider or formulation–but without info on this happening to others, there is no way to know. I’d like to know if this has happened to others. Thank you.

I wonder if the shots are stressful for him? Stress always triggers psychosis for my son.

1 Like

Stress is definitely a trigger. He is very used to the shots, but they did move them to a new facility across the parking lot this time, so that could be a stressor. Good point. I know he was upset by the move.

1 Like

No, I have noticed no episodes with my daughter and her Haldol Dec shots. She has been stable.

1 Like