Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Have any of you or your loved ones used the drug Geodon? And if so, did it help with symptoms?

Geodon : any good results ?

1 Like

When my sz son was first diagnosed more than 10 years ago that was one of the first drugs he was given, other than maybe contributing to tiredness it never helped to alleviate his delusions or voices. He was on it a couple of months, maybe 3 and then we moved on to a different medicine.

Gave my grandson severe dystonia

I had my son taken off of Clozaril and we are trying Geodon. In his third month on Geodon so still too early to tell. The Clozaril had him laughing for hours on end; I read where it could lead to pancreatitis and it was not the wonder drug promised - at least for him. He’s pretty stable with Geodon and is actually answering the phone - which he never did before and agreeing to small outings. So, to me that’s an improvement. Good luck with your experience …

Thank you for the response. We are seeing drastic improvement within 2 weeks. Holding conversations, going to a twice weekly college course and he even applied for and got a job interview and job offer. He’s still laughing inappropriately but maybe once a week now and says some inappropriate things - which seem like Tourette’s symptoms more than anything else. But overall huge improvement on 40 mg a day. He is to increase next week to 60 mg a day. He says it is not making him tired or sleep but his eyes look like he is medicated. Watching closely for side effects and will have blood draws and blood pressure etc checked frequently.

That is so good but if you see him getting like paralyzed,dystonia give him some benadryl, thats what the docs gave my grandson in the ER.