Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Anyone weaning their loved one from Clozaril/Clozapine?

My son is 39 and was first diagnosed with SZ in 2009. Before then, it had been a multitude of diagnoses from the age of nine. We are in the process of weaning him off of Clozaril and plan on putting him on Geodon. I know each medication has its side-affects but with him being a heavy smoker, the monthly lab draws that were being done were all over the place. Smoking, from what I read, can spike the white cell count so nothing is accurate. He is 6’8" and has lost a lot of weight. His sleep patterns are like…24 - 48 hours awake and then 6 - 12 hours of sleep. Therefore, the meds are taken at inconsistent times during his days. He is non-compliant and now going into a non-verbal stage where I have to repeat what I say three or four times before I can get a response from him. He will laugh to himself for hours on end - I mean hysterical laughter. Has anyone else seen this reaction with Clozaril? I heard it was supposed to make things sooooo much better but that was a short-lived crock of crud. Oh well, his violence is almost non-existent now but I miss the kid (he’ll always be my kid) who loved to fish and take his dog for a ride. Those days are long gone. Let me know if any of you had issues with Clozaril. Thanks and take care of each other!