Hearing voices and speaking to them

Reviving an old thread I somehow missed, or forgot to reply to:

First, I always find it a little odd that people assume that hearing voices is ‘bad’ and must be a terrifying experience. They can be benign or helpful and even pleasant and reassuring. Think of them as you might dreams or drug experiences. You have good dreams and bad dreams; good ‘trips’ and bad ‘trips’. I would reassured that she’s having more of a pleasant experience.

Second, there are other problems here I’d be more concerned about than the voices, and they’re something you could actually help her with, as opposed to the voices themselves which may or may not be curbed with medications. I would treat this in a similar way to a child who develops an imaginary friend. Problem one is she speaks to her voices in front of people and it can upset them and make them less likely to be her friend. Ask her if she can do this in private. Problem two is they are monopolizing her time. Ask is she can limit her time with them and if she wants to speak with them, speak with them quietly in her room.

Before I started taking medication, I went through an evolution with my ‘voices’. First, I didn’t know who they were and why they wouldn’t go away. Second, I started a dialog with them in private in my room in an attempt to get them to go away. I made a deal with them that they weren’t allowed to follow me to work. Third, I eventually fleshed out a speculative narrative about them and gave them names. They were a male/female team of FBI agents similar to Sculley and Mulder of ‘The X-Files’ (this predated the show). Fourth, I attempted to give them up and even said a bit of a goodbye to them. This worked for a while, but I eventually rebounded and ended up in the hospital. Eventually I came to see I needed medication and thoughts of them faded. I’m still not sure which parts if any were ‘real’ about them, but I view them as something I needed to get through my recovery process, just as a child may need imaginary friends to get through some stage of development.

While I wouldn’t encourage this behavior, I wouldn’t shame a person for hearing voices. For me it was more about taming and integrating the voices to a point I didn’t need them any more. Other people’s experiences may vary. But either way, benign or threatening, I think having a dialog about them might be helpful. They are often a barometer of what a ‘sufferer’ is thinking and feeling and ‘speak’ in ways they can’t.

1 Like