Help! He thinks there are cameras hidden in his house

He’s not feeling very good today… he thinks somebody is spying him with hidden cameras in his house… he also thinks somebody put a hidden microphone on him. How can I help him? He seems so sure that somebody is trying to harm or spy him… :confused:

I have those same feelings sometimes, you should let him speak to others about it. I once thought I was forced into a (mind control reality tv show). It’s not very fun…

I really hope your friend gets help. It’s hard not to believe something you may hear or feel more than your own living environment. Just remind him that he’s not the only one feeling this way and that it’s a common trait of persons with our type of illness.

Thanks. How can I convince him that it’s only his paranoia and not the reality?

You can’t always except ground him and help out as much as you can.

@BarbieBF we need your LEAP stuff!
I this time I’m going to copy it down so that I don’t have to summon you for every little thing. :frowning:

@Hikikomori can you get him out of the house or is it worse out there? What is a calming (or from the way this sounds to me, I just got back on this site) that would be a more calming place for him? If he is having religious delusions a church might not be good. Is there something he likes a lot? Art? Animals?

If you think that he wouldn’t mess with any of the art work (ask I have done) you could take him to a museum. Or if there is a local college maybe you could ask for a tour of the art building. That probably wouldn’t work out so well as it isn’t an actual gallery, but if you know someone or know someone who knows someone that might be better. Calmer, fewer people around or at least people who aren’t paid to watch other people so that they don’t try to steal the art.

One final thing, before BarbieBF gets here and can get you everything, from my understanding the best thing to do is to not engage the delusion. Don’t agree with it, but don’t try to prove him wrong. It’s the nature of delusions that people can’t be talked out of them. I think what someone said was don’t engage. Just refuse to talk about them.

Please look at these sites:
http://www.leapinstitute.org/ - under resources are free videos on using LEAP
LEAP is a way of communicating to build trust. Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner.

http://dramador.com/ - Dr. Xavier Amador is a clinical psychologist whose brother had schizophrenia. He is the founder of the LEAP Institute. Wrote the book: I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help! Can buy from his website.
Search Xavier Amador and LEAP on youtube.com and you should find some long videos

Treatment Advocacy Center - under problems you will see anosognosia
Anosognosia looks like denial but is different.

Bayes for Schizophrenics: Reasoning in Delusional Disorders - LessWrong - helped my understand delusions

http://www.nami.org/ - National Alliance on Mental Illness.
http://www.schizophrenia.ca/ - Schizophrenia Society of Canada

Can also find some very useful information here:

What I have been doing with my son lately:
Don`t try to prove him wrong–show him.
My son keeps saying that someone keeps breaking into his apt. So I just told him that we could get some small cameras for his place. He decided to let that go…
Go around it as much as possible. Ask him where the camera is on him. Sometimes, it just distracts a person. Or at times my son and I will laugh at something like that–sense of humor can go a long way. He may have good and bad days.

He prefers to stay at home… and yes, he likes art a lot and he paints as well. I tried to talk with him, without discussing his delusions and lately he seems more calm… I know his thoughts aren’t true but I’d like to help him more to think they’re just symptomps of his sickness. One thing I don’t understand, is that when he’s feeling good he knows voices, hallucinations and delusions aren’t real, but when he feels bad he really believes that somebody wants to harm him… how is it that possible? :confused:

Thanks… so when your son’s feeling good you can laugh about it? I want to help my friend and stay by his side when he feels bad… but I also want to be a good friend for him even when he feels good and share good moments together.

**You sound like a great friend–and already doing a good job!

[quote=“Hikikomori, post:8, topic:13374”]
when he feels bad he really believes that somebody wants to harm him… how is it that possible? :confused:
[/quote]Because those things are as real to them as anything you might be looking at—and you know they are there. have you ever seen that movie " ABeautiful Mind "? That showed me how real these things really are.

Thanks :slight_smile: Nope I didn’t, but many people tell me to watch it, so I’ll do soon or later!
But, if I’m not wrong, once he starts feeling well he’ll understand that all his fears, hallucinations and delusions are just symptomps of his sickness, right?

I thought hidden cameras was planted around my home.i was sure they were hidden Somewere took things apart to look even if I couldn’t physically find them thought they was still there. but now I don’t. ( I’m guessing my medication is working)

In theory-yes. Everyone is different. It`s really hard to tell how things will play out with each person. All you can do is take one day at a time…

In America in the 1990s I knew that the house where I lived was spied on and listened. Then I started thinking that all other places where I stayed were spied on, so I developed my unreal paranoia, which was quite unfortunate. Things just happen.

Hey- I’m sorry to comment on this after so long. This is the first I have been on here since then. I am actually strangely reassured that you do not understand. Please bear with me here. My Mom doesn’t understand either. She is wonderfully patient and caring too. Up until I read this comment I thought I was just explaining it wrong. That if I could find the right words to use she would understand. I guess there is no way to explain it to anyone. Please don’t take that as depressing. It is in a way, but it means that I can now take it as one of those things that I need to just let be.

It’s less frustrating when you learn that the two puzzle pieces won’t go together not because you aren’t combining them right but because they simply don’t fit. I felt like I was explaining it in the simplest way possible. In a way that no one could fail to understand.