I wish each of you a holiday where your family or friend is feeling peaceful and is taking baby steps to get help or feel healthier.
Our son is 26 and we’ve been through a rough five years with the same things you’ve all described here. At this point, he’s on probation for having tried to kill my husband and we have him living back home. He has pdoc and therapist telling him this:
- You’re not taking your medications as prescribed
- Your belief in marijuana as your medication is not true
- You shouldn’t live at home if you’re not going to be compliant with your meds
My husband and I have been married for 39 years. This is the first time we’re seeing marriage therapists (five of them so far). They all say the same thing:
- Specify what you can and can not live with (drugs and abuse to us)
- Stick to it or kick him out (with love but out)
Now our son seems to be off his meds or is not taking them as prescribed - super delusional and starting to get verbally abusive again. My husband is so tired of this argument, and so am I, of course, that he’s slipping him money again for marijuana. Our son is very isolated and is speed talking in the shower and is clearly being terrorized by the symptoms. Here’s what I think I’ll do today:
- Write up the top four things that have to change:
Our son needs to get compliant solo on meds or out the door within two weeks (why is crisis always near Christmas!)
Either of us can go in his room, at any time, to search for drugs or search him when he runs an errand
He needs to go to the weekly sz support group
Your thoughts? Thank you!