How is everyone's family doing today?

I hope your brother is ok and just going through a bit of rest period.

@SurprisedJ Thanks . He sometimes goes through spells of not answering his phone but we are talking a week or two- not this long.

Several years ago I went through a very painful divorce and have vowed to never get involved with another relationship. I like living alone and I can still help my daughter and her family without interference or criticism from a spouse. I will stay single for the rest of my life and I feel just fine with it. It’s nice not to have to pretzel myself to fit into another person lifestyle and that I can be myself.

This year I decided to finally step out and become more social and meet new people. Yesterday I went somewhere and had the most fun I’ve had in years. I’ve met a lot of very nice people I can be friends with. It feels great to be able to choose what I can do with my day. So yes I’m having a great day. I feel proud that I have survived the divorce and that I can still help my daughter but at the same time set boundaries what I can or can’t do for her. All of my children are the most important people in my life and of course it goes without saying my grandchildren are equally important. I’ve always known this because I was raised that way but as I get older I understand it at a much deeper level that the family unit for me is the most important part of my life. Husbands, boyfriends and friends come and go but my family is always here for me and I’m also there for them.

Update on my brother. Sister went round with her youngest daughter to see how things were. After knocking several times without response he eventually told her to ‘eff off’’ very angrily. It was a reaction she half expected but at least we know he’s alive albeit not in a good frame of mind…
It’s very difficult to know what to do further as the usual stance from professionals is unless he/she is an immediate danger to themselves or others there’s nothing they can do/ the individual has to voluntarily seek help. It’s sad that something bad has to often happen before any proactive steps are taken.

I’m glad your brother is still “ok”. Hopefully he will start talking to you guys again soon.

firemonkey, yes, waiting thru these times is very difficult. I pray for strength for you and safety for your brother. In the past I have just had to wait for my son to do something that could be construed as dangerous to himself, and then quickly act.

Molly, it can certainly be hard to find the balance between caring for a loved one who is ill, and getting what you need for yourself. I remarried at a point when my son was younger and not yet diagnosed. I try very hard to make sure I have time for both of them throughout the week. My husband injured himself last week, and I had to make a change in my usual schedule with my son. He was initially unhappy, but was able to acknowledge that my husband needed my help and that I was not pushing my son off, but was just asking him to be a little flexible.

My son continues to show some signs of improvement now that he is again getting some injectable medication. We had another good weekend, able to spend time together without stress, doing ordinary things together. He selected a new pair of shoes with bright colors, and it was a joy to see him happy with them.

Driving to the pdoc yesterday for a monthly visit, my son was speaking rather matter-of-factly about some things he “knows” about the military and aliens.

I ask, “Son, how do you learn these things?”

He replies,“That’s classified.”.

Much better. Pdoc still wants to see him in around 6 weeks but thinks therapy will greatly assist. Autistic children tend to fixate and see themselves as the center with all things relating to them. He also believes the issue was caused by Adderall as some kids on the spectrum can not take that med without negative symptoms occurring.

My only stressor is that concern that this may recur organically. The doctor told me to stop overthinking and remember the tools that we are currently using to help my son. Ugh. Stressful and a lot on our plates but I’m glad things are starting to look up.