I feel like they are hiding the truth

So we’ve seen the psychiatrist and the new psychologist now. Both are saying that my son watches too much television and plays too many video games. They are also saying that my own anxiety isn’t helping the situation because it only feeds my son’s need for attention.

As we were leaving the latest appointment my son told me he heard a little girl’s voice laughing. It was from a youtube video he’d watched during the day. And he couldn’t make the voice go away. The same thing happens with music. It gets stuck in his head or pops up when he’s bored. And his own anxiety is going through the roof again. He cries constantly.

I think the doctors know where this is heading but don’t want to diagnose him so young. I feel like they don’t want to tell me this because I will lose my mind.

Frequently doctors dont give diagnoses because its not that important, and can cause stigma, and doctors know that there is a lot of variability in these illnesses (bipolar, psychotic depression, schizophrenia, schizo-affective, etc.), and there frequently is stigma with different illnesses.

What is most important is to treat the symptoms and focus on getting those better. Don’t worry about the diagnoses… those can and do change.

Unfortunately I have noticed that a lot of my son’s ideas/beliefs used to come from movies etc. I will be watching a movie and it will click… that’s where he got that idea from. It became a part of his belief system. Especially for someone so young that may be playing a role. Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try and put some restrictions on the time spent on this things.

In my own experience as an ill child, I was never told my diagnosis. I only happened to come by the information by seeing the words “Paranoid Schizophrenia” on my chart while standing at the nurses station. Granted, that was nearly 30 years ago and a parent’s experience may differ, but often they don’t tell you a diagnosis unless they’re put on the spot.

As far as movies and media spawning delusional thought, look at “The Matrix”. That overrated Keanu Reeves movie has probably spawned more delusions than anything. “The Truman Show” is another culprit.

Maybe you could feed his need for attention in a positive way? Go take an art course together (you can help each other on techniques that one of you are having problems with). How old is he? I’m better with older people, but I’ll search my mind for a cool son/mom activity that will get him off the games. Might even help him meet some friends who will also help him get off the games.