I need advice on my dtr's sensitivity issues

My family member is very sensitive to what other family members do, for example, talking back to the tv when you disagree or getting irritated when playing a game. Also loud laughing. All these things are translated into fear. I don’t know how to deal with this. My husband seems unwilling to change his behavior and it does seem on the verge of being micro managed. But I don’t like seeing my dtr so uncomfortable. I suggested to her that we all discuss and try to solve the issues but she is hesitant to do it since she doesn’t think it will help. We’ve talked before and nothing changes. Anyone have advice on how to handle this?

This is interesting as these things bother me as well (I do not have sz). We recently had my BF and his two sons living with us. The loud laughing at TV shows really bothered me as well as the TV itself. We ended up getting wireless headphones for those who wanted to watch TV when no one else was watching. They also have noise blocking headphones. Perhaps those would work for her. Or she could put her earbuds in and listen to music?

2 Likes

I’ve read many articles about how the family responds to having a MI person in the household.
The main caregiver is usually more compassionate towards the illness, and has taken more time informing themselves. You have a better understanding of how your daughter reacts.
Others in the household have different opinions.
i.e. It’s my home, I shouldn’t have to change my ways to be accomodating, he/she should learn to deal.
or I’m not going to let he/she manipulate and run the show.
or he/she is really not that bad, faking or acting but not really ill.
Everyone is on their own page and no one really understands, sometimes it can be uncaring.
Maybe that’s why our loved ones isolate? rather than feel uncomfortable. We know the a person with severe autism is very sensitive to noise, maybe with MI it is similar?
So many questions. I have alot of thoughts that go unanswered.
Take care annie

3 Likes

She has headphones but they don’t block the sound for her. It would probably be worth it to get the noise blocking ones. I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll look into that. Thanks

The attitudes you mentioned–that’s what’s going on here. We don’t always take what is said seriously and then other times try to fit the MI person into things that are impossible for them to do. So confusing.

1 Like

@cgforall Here is an option (I’ve never tried any so I don’t know if these are any good - nor am I trying to boost the sales : ) They say signficant reduction.

https://www.amazon.com/COWIN-Cancelling-Headphones-Microphone-Comfortable/dp/B019U00D7K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523995587&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphones&psc=1

2 Likes

The problems with tv noise and laughter and voices are real. I think you are correct in identifying your daughter’s fear.

I am in similar situation where some family members do not change their behavior, for whatever reason. I just try really hard to be aware of how my family member with sz is doing and respond with whatever is needed. One book I read called one of the needs “benign neglect.” My interpretation is that a person with sz might need to be a little bit on their own and not bothered in order to feel well.

You are in a very common difficult situation and I agree with trying to find the best logistical solutions like noise cancelling headphones etc. For some reason, many people either cannot or choose not to change their behavior when a family member is experiencing more symptoms. You are doing the best you can for your daughter and your whole family.

Thank you your comments make me feel better. It’s good to know my family isn’t alone in the situation.