My son is now 22 years old. When he was in high school everything came very easily to him everything seemed normal I really thought he had a bright future ahead of him.
Then one day he and a group of his friends thought it would be a good idea to smoke some synthetic marijuana. 4 of the people in this group got sick one girl ended up in the hospital for more than a week.
Seems to me that over the next year he slowly lost interest in everything and slipped into this darkness. Now he can barely function his life consists of sitting in his bedroom playing video games.
Cant say if this decline was caused by this synthetic marijuana episode or if its just coincidence.
I recently started pecking around on the internet looking for clues. I started looking at the negative symptoms for schizophrenia. Im certainly no mental health specialist but this is an exact fit.
Im not sure what to do next.
- Depression (noted by everyone)
- Excessive sleeping or inability to sleep for long periods of time
- Social withdrawal and isolation (noted by everyone)
- Shift to unusual behavior; significant personality change
- Deterioration of social relationships
- Hyperactive or inactive (or alternating between the two)
- Inability to concentrate or cope with minor problems
- Hostility from one formerly passive and compliant Indifference or inflexible obstinancy
- Dropping out of activities and life in general
- Decline in academic or athletic performance
- Accidents or self-imposed injuries (cutting oneself)
- Drug or alcohol involvement with extreme or dramatic reactions
- Forgetfulness and losing things
- Devastated by disapproval
- Deterioration and abandonment of personal hygeine
- Noticeable and rapid weight loss
- Excessive need for acceptance
- Inability to express joy
- Inappropriate laughter
- Bizarre behavior (hopping, wearing only torn clothing, applying strange make-up)
- Irrational statements