In Home Supportive Services

This new ACT team seem to ask constantly what would he like to do. I am hopeful it will make a difference. Especially since he told me he does drugs because he is bored. Good information to hear and remind him of. It is overwhelming when he comes home and is so wanting to stay busy. It is exhausting but with this team I actually think it might encourage him to set goals and feel good about himself.

1 Like

My son receives IHSS services in Ca. I didnā€™t apply for it thinking that he would receive the max hrs available but he did. Due to his mental illness and safety issues he qualified. During the application process I had documented a few instances relating to safety that I submitted with application. He is on a Protective Supervision Plan which means he receives alot of hrs but also we have to provide a plan of supervision 24/7. He canā€™t be left alone which really stinks because some days are better than others and maybe he is sleeping and I would love to go for a walk but canā€™t. When I was looking to it originally it was with the idea that maybe we could get some help for him a few hrs a week since I am home most of the time but now I am his caregiver as he is too paranoid to have someone else come other than his sister and dad.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry cause we are rather new to this but what is In Home Supportive Services and how do we look into getting any services? No one has ever mentioned that to us. Our son is 35 and lives with us and he does not believe he is ill. Our frustration level is elevating because we feel there is no where to go for help other than his psychiatrist who just hands out meds and his counselor who he does like. Thanks!

1 Like

Wow, your sonā€™s capabilities sound a lot like my almost 23 year old son. I have had caseworkers who have acted like he was a normal young man, not one who couldnā€™t drive or have motivation to even shower or cook any food or do cleaning and who obsesses over everything,the list goes on and on. We would love them to be able to do all the things that these people who assess them think they can do and maybe some day they will. Our love for them keeps it all together, but it sure is a lot of work.

1 Like