Medication for anxiety

What types of anxiety meds work for your loved ones? My son is on 100mg haldol injection once a month. He has recently been complaining about having anxiety so they prescribed Hydroxyzine 50mg up to 3 times a day as needed. He says it doesn’t do anything and from what I understand it is basically just an antihistamine (I didn’t tell him that though). Any suggestions on what might work better for him?

1 Like

Try to keep him off benzodiazepines. They’re extremely addictive. Check out Buspar. But the lower doses don’t help, trust me. But the higher doses can be very beneficial

1 Like

@Cat_Nip You are right that it is a antihistamine, but it has mildly sedating effects. It’s just like benedryl being used for sleep and it is also a antihistamine. My son has a hydroxyzine prescription as well to take as needed for anxiety. He hardly takes it and I don’t really know how much it was helping him when he was taking it.
But I can tell you from my own experience with it, as a med for anxiety with flying, that it can take the edge off.
I agree with @Zannah about trying to avoid benzos for the reason stated. They can be great for someone who needs something every once in a big while for a specific situation. But as an everyday prn anxiety med the risk of addiction is high.

2 Likes

He actually asked for something he could take daily, to prevent the anxiety before it starts rather than after the fact. I suggested something along the lines of Zoloft but they prescribed the hydroxyzine. I agree something other than benzos would be best. I just hate that what they gave him isn’t giving him relief.

I will ask them about Buspar! Thanks @Zannah !

1 Like

Just remember that if it doesn’t work at all, a higher dose is probably needed. I think it’s usually 40-60 mg that helps

2 Likes

Clonazapam works pretty well for my daughter.

1 Like