My schizophrenic son always complaining of pain

I have been dealing with my schizophrenic son for a few years now. It is a constant roller coaster!! Every day is something different. We have changed his medications several times and I am hoping this will work for the time being.

He obsesses over many things on a daily basis. My issue now is he is always complaining of something hurting him and he thinks it is a serious disease. For example, he says his chest hurts and he is having a heart attack, or his stomach hurts and he is getting an ulcer. This is somewhat disturbing and I am not sure if this is normal behavior with this illness?

Yes I have had such fears and feelings. What was just some small muscle ache in my chest from exercise + excessive attention to it + some anxiety + some ignorance about medicine + voices suggesting the worst = repeated fears of heart attacks. I went to the GP a couple of times for reassurance and that worked a bit. The pain was still there but my fear of having a heart attack was diminished. Eventually when the meds kicked in and the muscle ache was gone all was well.

Post moved to the Family section. Welcome to the forums, @ballewlisa. :smiley:

Pixel.
(Wearing moderator hat)

Thanks so much!! I am learning how to post and where to post lol :smiley:

I am thinking anxiety does have a lot to do with it. I did not think it could be the voices having something to do with it.

I am very happy you are doing better!! Thanks for your response :heart:

Yes my voices would feed into a lot of small inconveniences in an authoritative tone - always exaggerating and exploiting insecurities. Something like a room that is a little too warm for comfort can be enough for my hallucinations to suggest suicide. After a while I took the liberty of interpreting such talk in a metaphorical sense, as expressions of the body similar to sweating. So any negative talk that I hallucinated I interpreted as an expression of discomfort, but as nothing more than just ā€˜discomfortā€™. Similarly positive hallucinations and intrusive thoughts would be expressions of me enjoying myself. Whenever I was making music they were cheering to me like they were groupies :slight_smile:

this could be hypochondriasis, also known as Munchausenā€™s. This means he has a psychological disorder which makes him think that he has illnesses that are unlikely. I think I have a bit of it but I have been correct too many times like ā€œOh wow you did burn your handā€ or ā€œOh wow you did tear an abdomenā€ or ā€œoh wow you do have a cold soreā€ or ā€œoh wow your nose is brokenā€

Itā€™s honestly better safe than sorry, but if its some new illness every day, it might even be tactile hallucinations, that or just hypochondriasis.

Like my mouth is moving and I made an appointment to see the psychiatrist, that and one of my fingers is sticking out. Itā€™s very rare on my medication (Geodon) but that shit is no joke so I am going to the doc, he wants to see the symptoms.

Wow!! This is very helpful!! I have an appointment for him to see is Primary Care Physician. You may be right as far as tactile hallucinations or hypochondriasis.

The last time it was a horrible experience. He called 911 and the paramedics came for his chest pain, but once we got the the ER there was nothing wrong with him and doctor said everything was normal.

This is so hard to deal with. I can see now where the voices really have an effect on those with this illness.

I wonder if an increase in anti psychotics would help with the tactile hallucinations, or is there another medication for that? Just curiousā€¦

Sure - these are specific names for the more general issue of delusions related to health status. Iā€™ve known people who have schizophrenia and who frequently (when untreated) quickly jumped to all sorts of catastrophic conclusions about small and common aches and pains.

I donā€™t see a lot of value in delving into a specific naming of a delusion - fundamentally if you get the general issue of psychosis / delusions addressed via medications and also therapy (e.g. CBT for psychosis) - then the specific issues will go away, along with all the other delusions that a person might have.

I recommend you read up as much as you can on schizophrenia (on this site, and in books) and also watch video series like this:

CBT for Psychosis Video Series

SZAdmin, you sound just like my general practitioner, ā€œOh she wants to get tested for an auto immune disease, thereā€™s the schizophrenic!ā€

Yeah, yeah, keep at it all you want until I really do have an ailment and then since you say Iā€™m exaggerating everything, maybe I wonā€™t take it seriously and then it will be too late!

Great information thank you :smile:

typical standard of protocol response to a website that rarely sides with the ill.

Daze - it all comes down to evidence and history. If there is good evidence that any person would look at and say - yes, its worth checking out. If there is not that evidence - then Iā€™d say let it go, focus on other more positive things in life. If a person has a history of overestimating or checking medical issues that turn out not to be anything - then thats an issue also.

Tactile hallucinations are common. I donā€™t know of any specific medications - it should be treated by the antipsychotic and if it isnā€™t talk with the doctor. Iā€™m not sure if a higher dose, or a different medication, is in order.

More discussion on other peopleā€™s tactile hallucinations here:

I will see about getting an increase on his antipsychotics or perhaps add something new. It will depend on what the psychiatrist says on Friday. Thanks so much :smile:

I learn something new every day will this illness. I am so happy to be a part of this forum!!

I just added a few additional references above in this thread - check them out.

I sure will!! Thank you :smile:

Then why do people drop dead of a heart attack when there is no evidence or proof. for most of us we use our bodies as proof of how we are feeling, or signs that something is amiss. Forcing the schizophrenic to come up with proof is like asking the priest to prove there is a God.

1 Like