My son..five years on

Yesterday I attended a meeting for my sons end of 3 month assessment period at the hospital and all agree his treatment needs can be met at a low secure unit. This means that he will be able to have leave and hopefully go back to studying which he wants so much. I was so proud of how he managed such a stressful situation (previous meetings have not gone so well)…they are changing his meds from arirpriprazole to olanzapine. He’s at maximum dose but the paranoia is still debilitating. This is his 4th med change and pdoc wants him to try clozaril??but he’s not up for that. Small steps and I know its a long and winding road :slight_smile: but one more step all the same. The nursing staff were really positive…young, intelligent and lots of potential. Telling him stuff i’ve been saying for years lol. So proud of my boy.

My son was put on Clozaril/Clozapine December 2012. Not sure why but currently it’s the only AP that he is still taking and seems to be the only thing stopping him from having a psychotic break. He resisted voluntarily going on it but I think during his break in December 2012 they were able to put him on it anyways because he was inpatient. Yes the blood work can be a pain.

I’m glad that your son is managing better. Good luck with the Olanzapine.