My son was diagnosed about a year ago

Hi. I’m new to this group. I feel lost an want to help my son but don’t know where to start. My son won’t take his medicine an refuses to sign papers to get him on Medicaid so he can get help. I can’t even have a conversation with him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was diagnosed in June. I get Medicaid. It has allowed me to see both a therapist and a psychiatrist. The medication has really helped. I also have trouble taking medications. I just stopped one recently when I wasn’t supposed to. I believe they are hurting me. I just make dumb decisions when I get paranoid.

I think having your son come to this forum might be a good thing. Sometimes talking to your peers is easier than your parents. I just joined, but I can’t tell you what a relief it is to be able to talk to people like me without any judgement. I have been really excited about meeting people just like me. It really helps.

I hope this helps. Although I’m not as knowledgeable as others here, feel free to contact me anytime.

Yes it does help. Thank you. Except that i can’t get him to sign the papers for Medicaid he is 22 yrs old. He needs medication bad. He makes no sense to me when he talks he lives in his own world. I can’t make him understand he needs it. Keeps telling me there’s nothing wrong with him.

Part of the illness is lack of insight. Psychosis can damage the brain, the part where cognition and logic and reason is, at least this is a strong theory, and that’s why he doesn’t believe he is ill :frowning: This is so hard. At some point he may become a danger to himself and others, at which point he should be involuntarily committed…well, that’s the idea anyway…but depending on all sorts of things, this process is easier said than done. My son was involuntarily committed for one month and was put on an injectable antipsychotic, which has helped a great deal. I got lucky. Well, I’d rather he not be schizophrenic, but really it is what it is…I feel for you. I still cry all the time, even though for now he’s doing well, not doing much of anything, but at least he’s safe and says he’s happy. My son was diagnosed when he was 25. He’s 28 now. I wish you luck. I hope you can find a way soon to get your son into a hospital…

1 Like

Thank you very much. I have learned that there is not alot I can do because he is of age. I’m in the process of getting guardianship over him so I can get him insurance an help he really needs. He goes out running around all night long. He’s always getting the police called on him. I’m very worried for him.

You have to take him to a hospital and tell them that he is a danger to himself and others. They will admit him and perhaps give him an injection of the medicine he needs. Running around at night in the US is dangerous.

Godspeed.

1 Like

I did that once an they did give him the injection but he won’t sign papers for Medicaid an do sent work so he can’t continue taking them he needs something long term

I’m a 66 year old schizophrenic. When I was 25 years old, the doctor took me off all medications, and then it was Hell trying to get me back on them.

I think one question you could ask is how does one motivate another person?

For 19 years I went to the local dental school and had my teeth cleaned by students. I understood that schizophrenics frequently improve about age 50, and if such a case should happen for me, I wanted to be in good shape

When I was in the dental hygienist school for several hours twice a year, one of the lessons getting taught there was, “How does one motivate someone else.”

I was often picked by a student to do her lesson one how to motivate someone else. The gal would decide what change she wanted and then apply her technique, and then get graded on her work in front of me.

Therefore. frequently a young pretty gal was telling me I should stop smoking because (fill in the blank).

Well young pretty women were an attraction to me! But I wanted to smoke. In those days, if one wanted to motivate me, one could interact with me as to how it came about that I always had enough cigarettes and coffee.

My parents went to their death beds believing that I would be able to care for myself, and pretty much that is a reality. By the way, I did stop smoking! Also, I settled down with one gal!

Jayster

3 Likes

As @daquilamarguerite mentioned previously about lack of insight, it’s called anosognosia, which is the medical term. You may want to look into your state laws about help in this situation. Also Google anosognosia to understand why he may be doing what he’s doing. He may not even know or believe he is sick.

1 Like

The only way he is going to get better is to get him on medication. When I was young I ran around and got mixed up with the wrong type of people. I think you have a choice and that is to get him on medication or some night having to identify him.

I know an I’m trying but he won’t sign papers for insurance an park center said they can’t keep helping him without getting paid for it. Plus when he is given med he won’t take it. Right now he is in jail. They are evaluating him.

If he committed a non-violent crime and has a diagnosis on record, there might be mental health court. Ask his public defender. There should be a contact person for mental health court with the courthouse if there is a program where you live.

Mental health court where we live requires treatment and if a person makes it through the program, their record is expunged. US

I’m in Indiana not sure if there is one here or not. But thank you for info. It was not violent crime.

Please look at these sites:
http://www.leapinstitute.org/ - under resources are free videos on using LEAP
LEAP is a way of communicating to build trust. Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner.

http://dramador.com/ - Dr. Xavier Amador is a clinical psychologist whose brother had schizophrenia. He is the founder of the LEAP Institute. Wrote the book: I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help! Can buy from his website.

Search Xavier Amador on YouTube for more videos

http://ourhealthyminds.com/family-handbook/communication/Building-a-collaborative-relationship-leap.html
Building A Collaborative Relationship “LEAP”

Treatment Advocacy Center - under problems you will see anosognosia
Anosognosia looks like denial but is different.

Bayes for Schizophrenics: Reasoning in Delusional Disorders - LessWrong - helped my understand delusions

Thanks will check these out…

How far gone is he? Would he know if you lied and said he threatened to kill you or himself? I know this sounds drastic, but the longer he is in psychosis the worse he will get. He may get to the point of threatening anyway. I mean, I don’t think lying is a good thing, but what if it’s a matter of life and death?? A person with Sz cannot go on and on without medication because the brain becomes more and more damaged :frowning: I hope nobody gets mad at me for suggesting this. The laws are different in the different states and countries. Have you contacted NAMI.org? And are you educating yourself about the illness so you can advocate for your precious son? I hardly do anything else but read, read, read…God bless.

I encourage this kind of thing all the time. I just haven’t explicitly said it here. I agree that it is life and death. Our culture forces us to lie. That’s the only way to get results!

1 Like

I understand why people might make the choice to lie, so their family member will hopefully receive treatment.

I could not do so; these lies will show up on police reports and court documents if involuntary commitment is sought.

The trust between me and my family member is more important to me than forcing treatment. I may regret this someday, but I could not lie about someone I love to the police and courts.

At one point I was given a choice by police whether or not to press charges against my family member for property damage actually committed. I did not. That would have meant arrest and a criminal record, but would not have guaranteed treatment or a good outcome.

Also, if a person is believed to be violent by the police, then they have some protocols that you might not want to invoke.

1 Like

Also, the book “I am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help,” by dr. Amadore, 6th edition, about anosognosia, how to deal with it, how to help your loved one get the help they need.

2 Likes

Hi. Sorry to hear about ur son. My son had same situation and our journey to recovery took almost 2 yrs. The following steps helped us:

1. Finding good psychiatrist that specializes in schizophrenia- big research hospital ; request for Genesight pharmacological testing to help find right medications with less side effects.
  2. Connected with NAMI for resources
  3. Connected with Pathways by Molina- they have various mental health programs thru Counties, services are free= housing @ different acuity levels might be available , with case managers to help navigate care. We’re from CA but they also offer in diff states. Link: Pathways.com
  4. I had to hospitalize him as needed when I see the slightest sign of red flags!
  5. Lastly, most important of all is to believe in God!
    My son is really doing well and almost back to his old self! Hope is very possible. Good luck
    Emily
1 Like