Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

New Caregiver to Senior, but needs some ideas for government assistance

I am in the process of taking over caregiving of my senior (74 yr old) Uncle. He was diagnosed around 20 and basically has not been able to work throughout his lifetime. He is currently receiving $740 from Social Security (I assume based on my grandfather’s earnings). Is there any other government assistance I can apply for? I’m really looking for $ so I can relocate him closer to me. I am trying to find him housing with either rental assistance (he currently pays @ $200 a month). He needs to live where meals are provided and medication is supervised. He had a psychotic break from non-compliance with medication recently for the first time in years. Sweet thing finally told me it is just too hard to go to the doctor and get to the pharmacy. He is the most gentle soul and deserves more.


I wish I had some experience to provide insight. Hoping for someone to respond with experience for you. Good luck

Is he on Medicaid? He may be able to go on a monthly or bi-monthly shot. You can look in your area of housing through the city or county you are in. For example where I live there is assistance through Boulder Housing Partners (although sometimes the waiting list is closed - here it opened for a few days to get on the wait list). It’s possible he could get on a list for housing. Here there is a place that takes people over 55 with a disability. Here a person would pay 1/3 of there income.

1 Like

I would start by asking questions at a nursing home near where you are wanting to move him.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to determine. He currently lives in an apartment in Memphis and is paying 1/3. What I can’t figure out is if he has a Section 8 housing voucher and do you have to have that? We have some supervised homes here, but they want a voucher. Office staff trying to determine how he currently qualifying. Unfortunately, my dad hasn’t kept the best records…

Hi, I am finding myself in the same boat, and will eventually need to figure out government assistance for my loved one. I’ve sort of given up as I found it very bleak where I live.

I was told that the best time to get assistance is after a psychotic break and hospitalization. The social worker at the hospital should/might be able to help you navigate the way to get help for your loved one. Or maybe not. Terrible red-tape the care-givers have to get through.

Here is a link to Section 8 housing website (If it doesn’t work, just Google how to get Section 8. It is a federal program but each state administers it, and each county has its ways too. 8&utm_term=how to obtain a section 8 voucher

To quote from the FAQ:

“Each Public Housing Authority operates within an assigned location, and program participants may need to look for affordable housing within that location”

Where I live, the county is overloaded with disabled needing housing and even more overloaded for beds in housing with medical supervision. The wait list is 3 years long. Even if I could get the red tape navigated for Section 8, my daughter would still have to live outside of Section 8 housing for way, way too long, so she lives with me. And because I provide her support, even though I am considered at or near poverty level, she is not qualified for Section 8 because I own my own home and she lives with me. I am starting the guardianship process. We are caught in a catch-22 situation of qualifying for nothing at this time, except for a slight tax break for me.

See my next post for a quote that also applies to you re: moving while getting Section 8.

Good luck.

1 Like

Hmmm, I just learned something new. Please see the quote below which is also from the FAQ from the Section 8 website:

9.What happens if I move while I am on Section 8 assistance?

Section 8 vouchers are valid anywhere in the country where a PHA administers the Section 8 program. If you would like to move to a different city or state, you must move either when your voucher was issued or at the end of your lease, after you have submitted a 30-day notice to your landlord. You must also notify your Housing Counselor, after which the PHA in your area will send a portability package to the receiving PHA in order to place you under its jurisdiction. To initiate the process, you must make a special appointment with your new PHA in order to determine whether you meet its eligibility requirements.

You are so right on the catch 22. We just went through this with my mother in law who is capable of independent housing today, but definitely not forever. Had to create a family trust and quit supporting her directly…

Hello Superwoman. Your uncle sounds exactly like my mom. She’s had SZ since 20, and is now 75. She also has Alzheimers which I think provides additional funding. More than likely your uncle is eligible for Medicaid (Medical Assistance), Medicare and SSI. Also do some looking into to see if you have family care in the state you live in. (Check with the Dept of Human Services.) Do you have a local Aging and Disability Resource Center where you live? They have helped me out a ton with my mom. Very knowable.

I have personally applied for nursing home MA and it is a lengthly process. But you should never have to go through it alone. ADRC helped me all the way. Also, your uncle should be screened to see what level of care he needs. Does he only need a CBRF where his meals are prepared for him but he has his own bedroom in a house? Or would a nursing home be a better fit for long term care options? Many nursing homes have a CBRF connected to it, in other words each wing has different levels of care. Hope this helps. Your uncle sounds like a great guy. Kudos to both of you.

There are housing services for older, mentally disabled. For example, here it’s called Boulder County Housing Partners. You need to apply but for those who are older the rooms seem to open up more frequently.