New tv series Black Box

Did anyone watch the new tv series last night,“Black box”?I was slightly intrigued by the title.The show is about a world-famous neuroscientist that treats patients with serious mental health conditions.The interesting part is that this dr is hiding the fact that she is bipolar+often noncompliant.I’m not sure how accurately everything is portrayed but it was a good show!I get very frustrated by people that fear/avoid things they don’t understand.Would be nice to see a mainstream show on mental health conditions that could teach people!My son(+family)are struggling with the day-to-day.Pdoc changed dx to psychosis nos.Reading all these posts have helped tremendously!A shout out of thanks to everyone-families+ people struggling!!

Every time one of these types of shows comes on, I always think ppl are going to generalize the disorder. Like ppl who know my DX are going to think I’m EXACTLY like the characters they see on TV when my personal symptoms are very different. It’s kinda embarrassing.

Though as MI becomes a more popular TV topic, perhaps the sigma will decrease?

I watched it and I really liked it.

What time is it on? day? which station and which country is it aired on? I am curious

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. But it also hit every bipolar stereotype out there so I was a little dismayed about that portrayal of it.

I loved Monk when it was on. My Dad didn’t like it because "he didn’t feel like “Monk developed as a character”.’ Psh. Monk was a famous high functioning cop with major OCD (but unlike OCD is for most people) it helped him with his job because he noticed every little thing that was out of place. From what the show said, it seemed like he had it mostly under control while his wife was alive (thanks to her support and understanding), but after she was murdered he fell apart. He now consults for the police. He isn’t a cop anymore, but he desperately wants to be. They don’t think he is ready for active duty yet though, even though he solves most of the crimes largely on his own.
The things out of place that he notices often are the things that point to the killer.While this is probably unrealistic (as most cop good guys are like the Criminal Intent guy with the grey hair who is my favorite cop of all time is), I think (this was before I got labeled as sz, sza, maybe while I was identified as depressed though) that it was a great show because it showed someone with mental illness that people could identify with. He kept a neat house (he vacuumed the ceiling in one commercial. And he always wiped his hands after shaking hands with another person). The man they saw couldn’t function in the real world without his ‘nurse’ (I think one of them actually did wear scrubs for a while) who acted more like a female side kick. They never fell in love though. Part of the show was that he was desperately searching for his wife’s killer even after several years.
I thought that the usual 'they work together -> impediment love story not happening was great. Partially because it shows that people with OCD (they didn’t say anything about any other mental illnesses. They stuck with OCD) could feel real, true love. (And that I am a sap for anything ‘love’ though). But the show was so popular that I like to think that it helped people feel more sympathetic with people with OCD which is good for everyone because if we can have an OCD hero who is still struggling to get to his feet even after years, why not a sz hero? A depressed hero? (I’m suprised they don’t have a cop show focused on depression. They show suicide and alcoholism, but not people coping or trying to cope healthily).
I remember seeing maybe one with a sz cop who was a psychologist and it showed him freaking out because there was too much noise (he got up on a desk and I think started singing aloud to his classical music while waving his arms around like he was conducting a symphony or something like that). I liked that but I didn’t get to see much of it. My parents weren’t inclined to watch that one. It seemed more like Law and Order though. Monk was more like what my understanding of “Psych” is. Nothing seems threatening. Someone dies, but not graphically, and the point of the show is not so much “who-done-it” but to connect with the characters.

I just finished watching Black Box on Demand TV - I thought it was so so. It was full of bipolar stereotypes -
The most realistic part of the show was when she gets a “ride” in the ambulance and gets a shot of haloperidol and lorazepam, that is the combo they gave me in the hospital, when I was high as a kite from my mania.
I do like shows and movies on mental illness, especially when they are positive. The main character Dr Black?
made an insulting statement against schizophrenics, that I did not like at all. She said that at least its a brain tumor and not schizo - schizophrenics do not get better (something like that) I do not know if I will be watching it again

I agree that the show was very stereotypical.My hope is that by putting stuff out for the general public about mental illness(even hokey stuff),people will feel more free to open up+talk about these issues.It amazes me how many people want to turn a blind eye to others with mental/physical issues.We still have a long way to go as a society.

When the pilot episode of ABC’s Black Box aired on April 24 (in the network’s coveted Thursday night Scandal spot), the show took some hard hits from critics and viewers alike. Some people found the main character—Dr. Catherine Black, a successful neurologist who lives with bipolar disorder—hard to connect with, or at least believe. Some completely identified with her portrayal of a manic episode—a hallmark symptom of untreated bipolar illness—and others found the entire show over-the-top. Dr. Black’s intentional skipping of her medication angered a lot of people who take medication themselves, while some completely empathized because they personally have felt the positive effects of mania.

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?Section=Top_Story&template=%2FContentManagement%2FContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=168056&lstid=809