OMG! Negative symptoms

What has worked for anyone with negative symptoms? They are making me suicidal!!

1 Like

What’s helped me is reading positive thinking books. And books about SZ. The life stories help me to know I’m not alone.

1 Like

Welcome to the group, if you are feeling suicidal due to negative symptoms of schizophrenia then you really need to speak to your doctor. I mean that very sincerely.

My son has only the negative symptoms to contend with these days since he is on a good regiment of medicine that has stopped his voices and most all of his delusions. Typically the negative symptoms are the least serious of the symptoms consisting of lethargy and lack of motivation, tendency to be anti social and sometimes lack of focus.

Of course everyone is different but if suicidal thoughts or ideation became an issue with my son I would hurry to get him back to his psychiatrist to re-evaluate and check the effectiveness of his meds. Since he has been stable mentally on his medications I see the negative symptoms as his mother but if he is asked he will tell anyone that he is quite happy and content. If I try to “remedy” the negative symptoms by trying to get him more motivated than he wants to be or force him to socialize or something like that then he will clearly be upset and withdraw.

Please make sure to address this with your doctor as suicidal thoughts or ideations are very serious and there is help for it. I wish you the very best going forward. I also recommend contacting NAMI and checking out their peer to peer recovery support group as an added idea. NAMI Connection | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

Take care.

There is an app that is wonderful about reframing your thinking using basic cognitive behavioral methods. As the spouse of a schitzotypal with anxiety I find it really helpful sometimes look at the “bigger picture” of things.

Do you remember what the app is called, @GEORGE ?
My son is working on replacing negative thoughts with positives ones with this therapist right now. I think this might be helpful, if not for him then maybe for me.

Sanvello is the app. I hope that helps. There are paid and unpaid versions but both can be helpful.

Thank you! Downloading it right now.

1 Like