One Month on Invega-Sustenna

Son has been on Invega-Sustenna depot injection for one month now. He had previously stopped taking his ap’s in January, spiraled down into psychosis until he was committed to the hospital in May.

For the past year or so I could not get son interested in anything we were having for dinner. He never wanted to be around me or my husband much less eat what were having for dinner. His eating habits were very sporadic.

So this evening I’m in the kitchen preparing chicken sausage, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Son walks in, says “that sure does smell good, when will it be ready”. So 30 minutes later he comes up in his Hugh Hefner-ish robe and loads his plate up:) This may not sound like a big deal but it’s a big change from his previous behavior.

As he’s walking out of the kitchen he says “Mom, ya know since I’ve been eating three meals a day lately, I can’t believe how normal I’m beginning to feel”. Feeling pretty happy right now :relieved:

14 Likes

That is great my son has had invega two years and it helps

It is a big deal :smile:

I have heard similar from my son. When he wants us to eat dinner at the kitchen table as a family things are good. When he’s not eating dinner regularly then things are slipping some.

Yah for the Invega helping to get your son back to you.

**Yes-it is a big deal! **

I am so happy for you and your son. I totally understand how great that makes you feel. Taking the meds makes my son nausea and he barely eats a full meal. :smiley:

This is great news!
Your son was still in there, hurray for the meds that can bring him out as you remember him.
The best feeling for everyone has to be when things are starting to feel “back to normal.” Although it’s not linear that all will be perfect, more like walking up and down stairs. The trick is to keep him from going down too many stairs and return to going back up.

My fiancé is on Invega Sustenna, he wouldn’t eat that much before either. He has been on it for a few months. He has gained weight with a pot belly. He now loves food. And yes the meds does make him feel normal, he is so happy now, he and I are making wonderful plans for the future. IS has helped him so much :smiley: It will do wonders for your son.

Thank you! That’s great news about your fiance’! I’m thinking my rail of a son is going to get a pot belly too lol.

I am so happy for you…

im happy for you guys

Great news. So happy

It’s wonderful news and on lots of levels: he’s feeling pleasure again, he’s bening sociable again, and so on. Long may it continue!

This medication is a prison for the mind I was on it for 8 months and every day I thought about killing myself while I was on it. It stops your brain from feeling any pleasure. I wouldn’t wish It on my worst enemy let alone have my child on it. I have been off it since October and I still feel like killing myself every day and I am praying for the day when I will feel better. I experience chronic boredom now every waking minute of the day, the things that used to interest me don’t nothing interests me in life all because I had invega sustenna forced on me.

Hi there. I’m sorry that it did not work for you and I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Son has been on it since May and still doing pretty good. He seems to get a little quiet for a couple of days after his injection, but has not expressed any negative feedback about it. He’s doing sooo much better than he he was and has even registered for college this semester. We all are very thankful. I know things can change on a dime, but we’re forever hopeful that he will continue to have positive results.

1 Like

so very happy for your son’s recovery.

That IS a big deal!!..My son just began Invega Sustenna… released from first hospitalization where he spent 10 days… I picked him up yesterday and last night he actually agreed to go out to dinnder with me… got my fingers crossed and feeling hopeful!!! Best wishes to your son and your family!

1 Like

I’m glad things are going well for you. I’m not familiar with Invega-Sustenna. It must be new.

It’s been out for 3 or 4 years now. It’s a long-acting injectable form of regular Invega.

Hi ant930, thanks for your kind wishes.

That’s exciting about your son starting on Invega Sustenna! My son has never done better. One of my son’s complaints over the years has been his lack of focus. Once upon a time pdoc prescribed Vyvanse, which is basically an amphetamine, and although son used to enjoy taking it, there were always eventually terrible results from it making him much more psychotic. So pdoc recently prescribed Vayarin for focus, which is pretty much a more natural product, has a lot of fish oil. It takes about 2-3 months to build up in the system. I see even more improvements in him with this added on to the Invega Sustenna. You may also want to check Vayarin out for your son.

The Invega Sustenna injection has been a Godsend for us. Son hated taking pills and my husband and I hated worrying, fretting and nagging about if he took them or not. So it’s a win-win for us. It did take a few months to figure out the correct dosage for him. 117mg was not enough - 156 mg is the magic number for him. I have also learned to administer the injection myself, which saves us time and $$.

Please keep us posted on your son’s progress. Fingers crossed for him!

2 Likes

Hi there Lovemy son… thank you for taking the time to give me some support and the additional “crossed fingers”…lol… so far so good… he has been compliant with the additional meds (Haldol and Cogentin for side effects)… I know one thing for sure is that he does NOT want to go back to the psych hospital. He resumed work and has been much more like he had been but in baby steps… Hope all is well for your son as well…It is good to have the support from other moms that understand this and are also learning at the same time…XOXO… Lets keep each other updated since they are on the same meds at almost the same time…My fingers are crossed for your son as well!!!

1 Like