Participation Request - Experiences of Parents of Adult Children with Serious Mental Illness

I’ve received this request from an academic that is researching schizophrenia. It seems like something we would want to support:

Hello

Are you the parent of an adult child with a serious mental illness?

If so, you have the opportunity to participate in an on-line survey that looks at relationships between parents and their adult children with serious mental illness.

Specifically we are looking for parents of adult children who have a mental illness that significantly impacts their functioning such as a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder, Major Depression, Schizophrenia, or Schizoaffective Disorder.

The study focuses on the types of things that parents do to provide support to their adult children with a serious mental illness, different aspects of parent-child relationships, and parental wellbeing. We are interested in your experiences!

If you complete the survey, you will have the opportunity to be entered into a drawing for a $20 Amazon gift card. You can complete the survey on your computer at a time convenient for you.

Below is a link to the survey. The survey takes no longer than about 50 minutes to complete.

You are eligible to participate in the study if:

1. You are the parent of an adult child who is at least 18 years of age and who has been diagnosed with a serious mental illness.

You do not need to be in contact with your adult child to be eligible to participate.

You participation is completely voluntary and you are free to skip any questions you do not want to answer, or stop at any time.

Your name or your parent’s name will not be associated with your responses.

We hope that you can help us by sharing your views.

https://bgsu.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6D9sCi6KjPtH4Tr

Thanks,

Sabrina Gonzales
Clinical Psychology Doctoral Student
Bowling Green State University
gonzals@bgsu.edu

Is this survey global or just for parents in the USA? If the former I know some parents who would be interested in this.

I just completed it. Appears to be global.

Hi! The survey is welcome to all parents.

Hi,

My name is Sabrina Gonzales. I am the graduate student completing this study.

I am a student in the Clinical-Community Psychology program at Bowling Green State University. I am also involved locally in mental health advocacy organizations and host family support groups on campus. I am interested in developing ways to research the experiences of individuals with serious mental illness and their families. I’ve noticed that a lot of the research may place a lot of blame on individuals and doesn’t recognize the voices and experiences of these families. I hope to find ways to improve services for families and provide resources to help families and their loved ones.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at my account here or through my email gonzals@bgsu.edu. Also, please feel free to forward information about this study along to anyone you feel might be interested in participating.

Thank you for your time!

Posted this on another forum I go on. One mother I know has looked at it but has decided not to do it as she doesn’t want to compromise her son’s privacy .