Admin Approved: Please take part in this survey for siblings

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I am conducting research on the levels of social support provided to SIBLINGS of individuals with psychiatric/developmental/medical illnesses or disabilities and its impact on psychological adjustment. It is my hope that this research will highlight the need for increased social support in siblings of individuals with chronic mental illness and provide evidence for funding these resources.

I have received Admin permission to post the survey on this board. In order to participate, you need to be at least 18 years-old and have at least one sibling. Participants of the survey will have an opportunity to win one of two $50 Amazon gift certificates.

Please click on the link or copy and paste the link to your browser to complete the survey.

https:// hofstra.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2tUNDSkghmKOVHn

Feel free to share your thoughts about the survey.

Thank you for your assistance!

I do not understand the current trend of acquiring data for scientific research based on the participation of random people on Internet forums. How do you know that anyone participating in your survey is actually a sibling of someone with schizophrenia? You don’t, and since you don’t, there is absolutely no way that your data or research can be considered valid. You might as well just ask random people you meet in the street to fill out your survey. Sweetening the pot with Amazon gift cards is a great way to make sure you just get siblings.

Why don’t you question real siblings through mental health treatment facilities, clinics, and drop-in centers? I know it’s a bit more work, but your research might then possibly be valid.

Yeah, I looked at your survey. Any random person can fill it out and you have zero indication that any of your responses are from actual siblings. I know for fact that at least one of your participants just made up his answers about an imaginary sibling.

Why not just make up the answers yourself? It’ll save you time and be about as scientifically accurate as this random survey.

A lot of surveys are done like this. I too question the validity of participants due to being anonymous however it is what it is. I have done surveys through the schizophrenia society and other organizations and yes you are right anyone could pretend to be a sibling, caregiver or even diagnosed and give incorrect information. Still it’s a way for those how do care do have their say and maybe make a difference.

I just think it’s bad science. If they found actual siblings through real sources like clinics etc. it would be much more valid.

I know people would like to contribute and that’s cool but I’m sure there are better ways to do it. People could get involved in their local mental health communities. That would help a lot.

its all based on trust and honesty, if someone fills the survey in and deliberately lies then that is on their conscience (if they hd one in the first place) most people these days will do anything to get a quick buck like lying, cheating and stealing.

That’s not how scientific research should be based. If you’re writing an article for People magazine then maybe, but it’s just bad science.

never thought trust and honesty were a bad thing, its the people that are bad i think not the science lol