Psychotic Anger

I had to call Mobile mental health and they determined he needed to be in the hospital. He was released yestetday after nearly 2 weeks. He is on 10mg zyprexa and is still belligerent and hostile. He’s only been on 10mg for 4 days…could it take longer to be effective?

Generally psychotropic medication begins to take full effect after 3 weeks however, often a psychiatrist will prescribe an extra medication to go along side with it in order to reduce “side effects” albeit they only cloud the side effects for a couple months before the side effects begin to show up. In short, often cogentin (spelling?) will be called a mood stabilizer that goes with something like “risperadol D” or the dissolvable ( spelling?) version of the pill. Zyprexa is often administered to those with a heavy drinking problem or heavy past use of alcohol and/or cigarettes in the family. It is not so bad though it becomes addictive, makes vision blurry and without glasses it causes one’s eyes to roll around the head. It leads to an illness in the nervous system akin to schizophrenia nervosa or psychoaffective bipolar depression. In layman’s terms, it makes the user fearful of any physical sensation coming from another person and more likely to sexually molest animals. But the statistic is lower than 70 percent. In any case, prolonged use of the medication may cause impotence or high blood pressure also known as heart disease. In short, it takes discipline of temperment. It is good to hear your son was released in less than 2 weeks. 10 milligrams is a decent dosage if it is once a day. Possibly the psych liason recommended twice a day which isn’t so bad for two weeks or so. I would have gone with a lime instead. Either way, just have patience and compassion for your son. Things seem bleak before they become bright. As cliche as it may sound, so if there is a calm before the storm, then there will be flowing water after it.

We can not expect to give another suffering human being a medication alone in place of what they really need. Real love, understanding and affection, a loving and genuine caring touch even, will help a great deal in alleviating their suffering. All humans suffer these same needs at some point and or duration in our lives. He is probably getting really frustrated as these basic human needs are not met properly as they only grow in intensity by being unattended and unsatisfied and unfulfilled. A real and genuine understanding will help matters too. I would be as patient as I could be by thinking that this is not the only life that we will ever experience in all eternity, and having patience by believing this alone, helps me to cope with adversity. Like the saying " It’s not whether we win or lose , it’s how we play the game". Prayer will also have great results as I have done so for you and your own. :gift_heart:

oh ffs!! get your minds out of the clouds…listen, her son is threatening violence to both of them (parents) he either shapes up or ships out in my opinion. violence is not to be tolerated under ANY circumstances. look into finding him somewhere to live. if he wants to live in your home then he has to abide by your rules and one of those should be no threatening behaviour AT ALL or he’s out of there. much as you love your son, if his reality is skewed there is a chance that he could attack you or your husband…do yourself a favour and find him his own place. you can still support him and love hm just as much but at least you will be safe in your own home :slight_smile: hope this
helps xxx

Did this involve social anxiety, what I mean is were you afraid to go out and talk to people in order to regain your social skills? My break completely erased my social skills. I was social as a kid, so just like in bodybuilding, the muscles can be built back more quickly if you already had them (I used to be into bodybuilding like u). That’s what I’m hoping atleast.

Where did you hear this? (Anti-depressants may take three to six weeks to get traction; anti-psychotics usually smack the pt pretty quickly.)

Please check your facts before you write stuff like this. Cogentin is NOT an m/s.

Where do you get this shit?

A moderate dose. 20 mgs is high in T range, and he may need to work up to that. Likewise, I would consider laying some Clonidine on him.

Very much supported.

Yes, it totally invoked social anxiety. They put me on meds for it and side effects- I am on meds which help with anxiety. Long story.

I like the exercise analogy- very true. I rebuilt my social skills and they probably aren’t what they were, I may be a bit awkward, but I do have friends. I was quite popular right before the illness.

Although I have never been violent to anyone, in the last 10 years there has been enough anger built up mixed with frustration that I blow up into a “Monster” pretty quickly when I’m dealing with my past.

My husband has found I get particularly ugly and loud when I’m hungry.
He has learned a quick fix for me is “feed the monster-chocolate or lunch” and I step out of the monster suit pretty fast.

When traces of the monster suit linger, he will take me out of the house for a “Distraction”.
I return home in a good mood.