PsyPost - What causes brain problems after traumatic brain injury? Studies have a surprising answer

BY UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND ON JANUARY 15, 2015 MENTAL HEALTH

A new paper by researchers at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UM SOM) argues that there is a widespread misunderstanding about the true nature of traumatic brain injury and how it causes chronic degenerative problems.

In a perspective article published in the latest issue of Neurotherapeutics, the two authors – Alan Faden, MD, a neurologist and professor of anesthesiology, and David Loane, PhD, an assistant professor of anesthesiology, propose that chronic brain damage and neuropsychiatric problems after trauma are to a large degree caused by long-term inflammation in the brain. In their view, this inflammation is a key culprit behind the myriad symptoms that have been linked with traumatic brain injury and mild traumatic brain injury, including brain atrophy, depression and cognitive decline.

When my son had that accident, it awas less than a year before my son started acting funny. However, he was also abusing drugs even before that–I guess that blow to the head was the catalyst.
if only I could get him to see a doctor for brain imaging and an MRI! He wont do it! Dont know if it would make a difference now…always hoping…
There is so much talk about head injuries in sports…wondering if some of these same drugs they are talking about would help with SZ…