Really need some feedback!

I am hoping that you good folks can provide me with some feedback. I am really concerned about my friend’s daughter. She is 14 years old, and within the last 6 months, she has displayed behaviors and such that lead me to think it’s possible she is schizophrenic. Here are the things that have been observed:

She has always been on the shy side, but now seems to be quite withdrawn much of the time. She stares down at the ground a lot, doesn’t talk much of her own accord and trying to talk with her is extremely hard. You’ll ask her a question, and she’ll just stare at you. Sometimes she’ll move her mouth like opening it and closing it and yet doesn’t answer. And I’m talking simple questions like what is her favorite color. Then all of a sudden, she’ll like snap to and answer.

Oftentimes she gets this look on her face that she is holding back laughing, even when laughter isn’t called for. In addition, she will smile. We were watching a movie together a couple of weeks ago, and I was observing her from the side, and she would periodically sort of grimace and smile at nothing.

She developed a rapid eye blinking.

She does odd things like one night her mom made some steamed shrimp in the shell, which she has eaten many times, and she just started eating the shrimp with the shell on it. When her mom told her that she had to take the shell off she just said, “ok” and kept eating it with the shell on. Or let’s say you’re walking down the street and there’s a puddle of water…while everyone else would walk around it, she would walk right through it, seemingly obvlivious.

She and her sister were over at my house for an afternoon, and she played on my laptop back in my bedroom for awhile. That night, when I went to bed, I discovered that she had urinated on my bed while sitting there. This was in the middle of the day and I have a bathroom right off of my bedroom. This really alarmed me.

About two months ago she had a spell where she cried constantly for a couple of days. She also told her brother that Santa was on the roof, and that someone was saying, “it’s cold out, let me in”.

She stares a lot. Just stares. Not a bad stare or evil stare of anything like that, she just stares at you. It’s extremely difficult to have a conversation with her.

Sometimes she really looks a mess. She’s never had very good grooming habits, but sometimes they are really bad.

Sometimes she seems to have a very flat affect.

I feel really worried about her. She’s just not the same kid anymore. She definitely does not do any drugs or anything like that. I believe it’s mental issues and I am so scared for her. Her mother does have an appt. but the earliest they could get her in was a month from now.

Do you think it’s possible that this is what she is suffering from?

It sounds like something is going on beyond that of being a 14 year old.

There is information on child on-set here: Childhood schizophrenia; paranoid schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

Here are some links you may want to pass on your friend. Getting her in to see someone is important.

Early Psychosis Treatment center information in these two links

http://www.raiseetp.org/sites/

Psychiatric Treatment Centers affiliated with Medical Schools in the USA

This link may help you find a psychiatrist in your area

Cassidy, I think you are on to something. I too would be concerned and I like the feedback BarbieBF gave you.

In hindsight I can see that my son showed some of the signs you speak of, and yet we did nothing. We thought he would somehow straighten out as he matured. If we had known then what we know now…

Early treatment can mean such a difference. Getting her to help is of paramount importance right now.

Good for you! Watching out for her was a very nice thing for you to do.
Something is definitely going on and it sounds big.
You may have saved her.

Thank you all so much for your input. I just can’t stop thinking about her and what could be wrong.

I wanted to let you know that she was diagnosed. She does, in fact, have schizophrenia. At 14 years old. I feel very sad for her. But I also know that though it is a life sentence, it does not mean she can’t have a full life.

And by seeing the signs you contributed immensely to that full life. -0- jelly bean hug.

I don’t like to look at my illness as a “life sentence”, I would rather think of it as a “lifelong condition”. But this thread is not about me. But that’s good that you care enough about this girl to try to help her when she’s not even your own daughter. She is lucky to have someone like you. I wish both of you good luck.

I’m sorry this is happening to your family, and I know it’s very upsetting. But there is something to be said for an early diagnosis. It’s means she on track that much sooner. You have a chance to get her stabilized and turned onto other supportive resources early.

I know people feel sad when the young are diagnosed. I’m Sz. My parents were very proactive and we’re a tight knit family, but medical professionals didn’t want to diagnose me when I was a kid. I was suffering back then and I was given so many other labels before Sz was finally diagnosed.

I’m almost 30 and I’m just now feeling like I’m properly functioning. All those years of mincing around with other diagnoses while I was just getting worse and worse, and my parents tried to be a proactive and as supportive as they could, but I spiraled down further.

But now… I have a job a like, a place of my own, a life that is moving forward. But if I was diagnosed earlier, when I was 14, I wonder how much of my dark path could have been avoided and how much further ahead would I be now?

There is something to be said for catching this earlier then later.

Good luck to your family and I rooting for you.

Thank you for telling me this. I certainly don’t mean it in an offensive way at all, but I can see how the verbage could be, so I am not going to rphrase it this way anymore. Thank you!!!

Thank you!!! Glad to hear that you’re moving forward, too.

I developed Sz at age 13.

• Would laugh during funerals
  • Bed wetting
  • Lying to people
  • Lost interest with school
  • My nickname at school was stinky

Good luck with your daughter.

Hi. I didn’t think you meant any harm. Good luck to you, and I hope this girl responds positively to treatment. Have a nice night!

Thank you! I really am glad you said something, though, because it made me more aware!