The SE program helps people with mental illnesses discover paths of self-sufficiency and recovery, rather than disability and dependence. Most people with SMI want to work, yet they face significant barriers in finding and keeping jobs, such as:
- A limited number of jobs in communities
- Discrimination against people with mental illnesses
- Limited or compromised executive functioning skills among some consumers that hinder one’s ability to perform and attend work
- Lack of supported employment programs
- Inadequate transportation
With support, they can work in competitive jobs or start their own businesses, enabling them to increase their work activity and earnings over time.
Looks like grantees are only in a few states.