She did it! Graduation

You know, I went to a community college. It was great for me. I also took some random art classes outside of my major, it was a very fun time of my life. The stress of a harder school may not help her much in the future, better a community college, in my opinion. I hope the visit goes well. As @wreklus said, the school or class doesn’t really matter in the long run, it is the overall goal to attend school and build a future that is most valuable.

I agree that a community college is a good step. Generally they are local which means your daughter will be near her support system. They tend to be smaller (although there are a few massive community colleges). Smaller classes and fewer students means a more personal and supportive environment. And there’s always a possibility to transfer to other schools if she outgrows it.

I just enrolled in my third community college to learn a new skill even though I have a university degree. School is SO much different nowadays. Everything is on-line now and there are ample opportunities for parents to follow progress. While I’m not a fan of “helicopter parenting”, when you have a child with a SZ related illness it may be warranted.

I used every trick in the book to hide my academic troubles in high school and college during my lengthy prodrome. With better tools to follow my progress, my parents could have intervened earlier, and possibly affected a better outcome.

I really think this is a good thing for her. It might not be her original choice, but it will get her started. I started out in a community college for a couple of reasons. First my grades also were not that great since I stopped taking my ADHD medication after middle school. Also I wanted to save money.

The important thing is it is something to keep her busy. Once we can move to Binghamton we will be in the same town as the community college. Everyone else will be Binghamton during the day, so if she needs help someone will be close by.

It is also part of the State University of New York. I think there is a possibility for free tuition for NY residents, but I am not sure of what the qualifications for that is.

I am really happy she made this decision on her own. Sure we were encouraging her to do this, but she made the decision. I am proud of her.

When we visit the college, she will meet with an admission advisor to help her decide what program could be best for her, whether it is art or something else. Then we will have a campus tour.