Something interesting

So, I recently read an article that said new research shows that those with schizophrenia don’t really have anhedonia. At least not the textbook definition. They said that what is lacking is the brain’s ability to make the leap from “if I do this, then I will feel better”.
The article went on to say that those with schizophrenia actually experience happiness; but due to the brain neurons not being able to recognize cause and affect, they aren’t able to recognize that certain things like exercise will improve mood.
I can no longer find the link but I am still looking. I found it interesting as the scientist interviewed felt it opened up areas of new research for negative symptoms.
Thoughts?

1 Like

I think you may refer to research conducted by Professor Gregory Strauss of the University of Georgia. I found his February 2021 paper on the subject a difficult read, but below is a link to his interview with “The On Conquering Schizophrenia Project”:

Here’s a link to his paper:

www.nature.com/articles/s41537-021-00145-4

1 Like

Thank you!
I read a synopsis of this paper and find the topic fascinating.
The more research, the more likely a treatment or cure for negative symptoms.

1 Like

Interesting. Since symptoms aren’t consistent and it’s thought nowadays that schizophrenia is a spectrum disorder, I’d thought my experience was an outlier or common comorbid depressive symptoms were a factor.

While I wouldn’t say I experience ahedonia per se, I’m sometimes confused by the source of my emotions or experience delayed emotional responses. It sometimes takes time to me to sort out what I feel or why I feel it. People often say I’m funniest when I make an inadvertent joke, or think a joke should bomb and it unexpectedly lands and then I’m visibly belatedly proud of or amused by my own joke. The old “disorganized” or “hebephrenic” subtype might play off of similar mechanisms.

2 Likes

There’s a lot to consider in that study. It’s complicated but fascinating and hopeful, too. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like