Son doing much better

I wanted to update on my son. We have been dealing with his illness for 13 years. He is 30 now and has been in and out of the hospital numerous times because he chose not to take medicine. I can’t even tell you the nightmare it’s been; well I guess some of you totally get it. I NEVER thought he would agree to meds. BUT after his last admission in August HE HAS BEEN TAKING HIS MEDICATION. He takes Invega 9 mg and an anti depressive. Is he “perfectly normal” ( none of us are lol), no he is not. He still does annoying things like running water, little hoarding piles, and hygeine needs some work. But we can have a conversation with him, goes out shopping with us, socializes. He has excepted help from the state. A SW comes out once a month, and a peer group leader comes out every other week. We are waiting for a program to get him into, in Delaware that will help him with housing, jobs, and monitor his medications. There is a 6-8 month wait. Most days he will take pills on own, but some days I have to remind him. This is huge for him and has made us so happy. We continue to tell him how proud of him we are. My husband and I are camping in FL for the month of February. We have hired someone to come in, give him rides, check his pill boxes, and he is OK with it! This will be the first time we have been away in years, without having to worry 24/7. Believe me when I say we were hopeless that he would never ever improve. people told us NOT TO GIVE UP. But boy was it hard. He was a hair away from a shelter, we just couldn’t take it any longer.
Thought it would be nice to hear some good news, and hope.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing this great news. You can now have your life back. And he can move forward. It reminds us that we can never lose hope. That’s what keep us going. Would he try injections so he does not have to remind every day?

1 Like

He will not get injection… we tried.

Congratulations. I have found that the longer my son is on meds the better his behavior

1 Like

That is such wonderful news and thank you for sharing!
Our son also continues to do well after a long struggle. It’s like he finally got sick of being sick.
Have a great time camping. You’ve earned it!

1 Like

@Hanginginthere, I’m thinking the same thing. Maybe that’s what drives some people with SZ to take meds and deal with the side effects.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! My daughter has been going through this torment for 20 years! There were glimmers of hope here and here but for the last 10 years no medication, no job, no friends and the paranoia has included everyone from kindergarten to the neighbor across the street. All day is non stop loud perseveration on compensatory strategies to stop the tormenting voices. When that is quiet for about a minute or 2 then starts the accusations about everyone hurting her or the state of poverty she has always been in (not true), It then continues about how the neighbor is trying to take her supplies (garbage from the curb) that she has collected to build her house.
I was happy to hear that your son has improved. I guess in life we all have a quirky side to us but just the fact you can have a conversation with him is such a blessing!!
My prayers for you is that he will continue to grow in tackling this horrible illness!! God bless!!

1 Like