Son is far away and I don't know what to do

I’m not sure if he has the Rx still or not, or if he brought it - I will ask him (I believe it was Risperdal). I meant to ask him before we left, but he was so dodgy and hard to pin down, I hated to pile on one more thing (or send him back into his room to get “lost” again). I was also wondering, if he didn’t, if the Dr. who prescribed it from another state could re-issue it over the phone here. Not sure about the out of state aspect (or if he’d even be willing) - I know it wouldn’t work for, say, Adderal, but these don’t seem like drugs that anybody would want to steal or sell for fun. :neutral_face:

As far as pot goes, he told me that he felt he’d have a hard time never doing it again (sigh), because he really enjoys it. But he did agree that he should lay off while trying the meds so he could get a better read on whether it was working. He said he gave it up for awhile in the spring (he told me had at the time, without saying why) and didn’t notice a difference one way or the other, but I don’t think he was really off of it for all that long. It’s certainly in his system right now.

Good point about ruling out other causes. His paternal grandmother was known to be a bit “funny”, and was convinced that her husband was trying to kill her. However, she did end up dying of a brain tumor, so who knows? Would be good to get checked out.

1 Like

Has the hospital forwarded their records to your son’s home doctor? That way you could know what tests were done and what med and dosage was prescribed. You could have your son’s doctor order some additional testing.

Maybe your son’s doctor (pediatrician?) can write a new script, to hold him over until he can meet with a psychiatrist for med management. I think general practitioners can prescribe AP meds, as well as psych docs.

1 Like

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of just calling our regular clinic. It’s been awhile since he’s gone in, and he usually just sees whoever is available, so I’m not sure any of the clinic doctors feel like “his”. He doesn’t have a psychiatrist or therapist here yet, but we gave the FEP program release forms to talk to the hospital (the prescribing doc saw him there, too) and the university counseling center. I’m going to call them on Monday to see when we would get an answer and again, if he doesn’t fit criteria, then at least maybe get some recommendations from them (if not particular people, then an overview of what they consider good practice).

2 Likes

Your story sounds identical to what my son and I experienced in year 2003. My son was living far from home attending a university. It started early in the spring of 2003 in his junior year. He lived in the dormitory and began isolating himself in his room. I thought that he was depressed and I knew that he had wanted to move into an appartment. I thought that moving into his own apartment my lift his sprits. That was a mistake. He became even more isolated, and I had less contact with him. I also was paying for his rent and living expenses. I flew to the city where he resided, and I was not very welcomed. My brother who lives in a city not far away from my son, moved my son back into the dormitory. Shortly after, my son left all his belongings in his dormitory room unpacked, got on a Greyhound bus and returned home. We finally got him to see a pyschiatrist who diagnosed my son as having a schizoaffective disorder. Do you have any family member or friend with whom your son feels comfortable? I hope that you will be able to get him home and get him the help he needs. Best wishes.

Thank you! I’m glad your son figured out how to get himself home! In my case, as it turned out, I flew to his city last week, and convinced him to come back with me. I drove all night in his car, and now he’s home. Getting ready to get him into treatment of some kind. Hoping for a local FEP (First Episode of Psychosis) program, but making other plans just in case, as well.

So glad to hear that you were able to get your son to go home with you. Take care of yourself and the best to both of you.

1 Like

I just wanted to say well done to you @soworried . It seems to me you have done all the right things in a very difficult situation and your son is now in the best position - with a clear headed mother fighting for him - to get the help he needs. Hope things work out for your son.

3 Likes

Thanks again all. Just wanted to report that the doctor he saw once came through and called in an Rx to our local pharmacy. I was able to pick up a 30-day supply of Risperdal for him last night. He did not take one last night, and was showing no signs of taking one this morning, so finally I just brought him one with his coffee and he took it. He then said “might as well bring the other stuff, too” and took some sarcosine and some other vitamins.

Fingers crossed, although this will be a tightrope. He really doesn’t like being told what to do…

5 Likes

Maybe you could say something like I am glad you are making the decision to give this a try. Or heck let him think you are telling him what to do if he will take it. Glad things are going in a good direction!

2 Likes

Wow, just read this entire thread and all such great advice! I am so sorry this is happening to you @soworried, but you are on top of this, learning, and most importantly, seeking early treatment for your son. I hope he will be compliant with that. You might want to go ahead and look at Dr. Amador’s psychological methodology to work with persons who do not recognize or acknowledge their illness or need for treatment at http://dramador.com/the-leap-institute/. I also recommend you locate a support group for yourself (and potentially for your son) through the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI.org). I also had a son who started showing signs of problems when he was in college. I wish we had been given these tools so that we could have acted more intentionally to get him needed help more quickly.

Hey, yes! I learned about Dr. Amador’s book from this site, and read it through twice before going to see my son. I think it helped immensely. My son does have decent insight at this point, but obviously what I was asking him to do was pretty big, and the book really helped me to be patient and really listen to him instead of rushing in with all my fears. It really reminds me very much of my all-time favorite parenting book - “How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk”. Everybody wants to be heard.

I keep going back to the book and re-reading parts, because I think I will be using it a lot in the future…

3 Likes

I am so glad the LEAP methodology was helpful as you mention it is also used in similar ways and called by other names. I hope your son continues to have insight but your effort to maximize effective methods for communication will be a great help with that, I expect. Please keep us posted on your journey and I give you my very best wishes for you and your son. There ARE success stories and there ARE reasons to be hopeful, and treating this illness early is a big plus to longer term success. But even with medication, dealing with a loved one with serious mental illness can still be a huge challenge. Take good care of yourself and continue to learn all you can.

So sorry, I just saw this! He is doing well on the Invega Trinza. When it gets down to to the last 2 weeks, he gets a little out there… but for the most part, this is the best medication he has been on. No side effects for him, no tardive dyskensia, nothing. He is on the highest dosage, but for him to only get the 4x a year is a godsend. He lives on his own, drives, hangs out with friends… he is on disability, get EBT and has Medicare/Supplemental Insurance that pays for his injections… without it, he would not take any medication. He still does not shower and brush his teeth like he should, but it beats the alternative. My email is vlgregg58@gmail.com if you would like to talk further. Val

1 Like