Tell us how you are today?

I’ve been there. I think a few times - actually I think once each day when we stayed overnight. The beauty of age - you think you’ve done things you may actually have never done. What a great place for you to get away and relax! Glad it worked out!!

3 Likes

Thinking of you and sending positive energy. I hope you get some answers soon. So glad your daughter and granddaughter made surprise visit. That sounded like it was very good for all of you!

2 Likes

Sounds amazing. I’ve never been to Colorado.

I feel like a trip away for us will never happen, but you’ve given me hope. Thank you.

2 Likes

I am so happy to hear,it makes you feel like you have a little more independence.

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a week or so now but I felt like I should finally post something. I’m the sister of a 20 year old guy whose been diagnosed with sz. My family has been working with his psychosis for about 2-3 years now, but the diagnosis is still new. We are located in Massachusetts, USA and my brother was involuntarily committed (in MA its called a Section 12) due to poor eating/sleeping, poor judgement, 0 insight, becoming agitated, paranoid, off his APs for weeks and taking more than his prescribed dose of ativan. Its currently the only med he is willing to take. This will be his second hospitalization. On one hand, I’m happy he will be getting the help he so desperately needs, but on the other I’m terrified for him and what the future holds. He was restrained with medication and physical restraints in the emergency room due to him getting agitated and verbally threatening, and hes been in there for >24 hours while we are waiting for a bed for him. Its sad because hes not a violent person, its his illness that makes him behave that way. I wish he was settled in a psych hospital so I could feel less anxious. I hate this feeling and this awful illness. Sooo thats how I’m doing. It sucks right now but it get better soon. My brother has responded to meds in the past, we just haven’t found the right one yet. Hopefully this will get him back on track to better functioning. Thank you for reading and being the awesome, supportive community that you are!

6 Likes

Hi Cura. I’m so sorry this has happened to your brother. It must be so heartbreaking for you and your whole family. I know my daughter grieves terribly for her brother, my 21 year old son.

We are very fortunate to live in MA, as we can get Section 12 hospitalizations for our loved ones for things other than just imminent physical danger to self. It’s not like that in some other states.

I hope your brother gets a bed soon, so he can start to get on track. Good luck. You’re not alone.

2 Likes

Just checking in. Things are going ok. My husband and I have been battling our son’s insurance company to try to get them to pay for his Invega injections. It’s exhausting and frustrating. We did apply for disability for him, but haven’t heard back yet. Thinking of all of us in this boat together. Grateful for the good days and for being able to share here. I have also been going to some NAMI support group meetings and those have been helpful.

4 Likes
Just checking in with all of you. Still waiting on a competency hearing for our son Lou. He has a court date set for July 10. I was planning on our first visit at the state hospital and then we found out that he was transferred  back to the court system, where he is being held. Have not seen our son since he was arrested, long story.
I keep busy, helping out at the golf course, we have our junior golf camp until the end of the week. The kids (ages 7-17) are a fun group. 

Take care AnnieNorCal

1 Like

It seems to take so long, doesn’t it? In my son’s case, we felt that the longer it took, the more comprehensive the results would be. Hang n there.

That’s a good thought, my sons case is very complex, and none of it really makes any sense from his accident to the assualt.
Thanks for your response, AnnieNorCal
P.S. to anyone who is not familiar with my sons situation, you can go to my activity and read about my son Lou in my earlier post. It is complicated and unbelievable.

Tonight I am thankful. I’m thankful for the relative peace my son has been experiencing lately, for the last week or so.

Is his peace because of the increased sunshine? Is it because we in our immediate family are all learning how to better manage his psychosis, in ways that don’t escalate or reinforce it? Is it because he is learning that it is OK to have a “blip” in his behavior and then turn things around and get back on track, rather than let things get completely out of control?

Although today, my son said he believed he was being hunted and that he believed I might do horrendous things with a total stranger, with a combination of our acknowledgement of his fears, redirection to other topics, and planned ignoring of inappropriate comments, he was able to pull himself out of his thoughts and have a nice night with his family. We watched TV together.

Our son has been on Invega Sustenna for 10 months, at the highest dose of 234 mg since his last hospitalization in March. We live day-by-day.

My guess is this wouldn’t be considered a great example of “progress”, but it is what it is. I’ll take it. We are fortunate. We are able to take care of our ill child. I know that ability often does not happen for many of you and I would be heartbroken if that was my experience. I’m so sorry if you are part of that group. I can only imagine your pain.

Peace to all of us.

3 Likes

Im with you all the way , I’m so sad watching my son’s paranoia and his isolating life , its too painful and heart breaking to watch, simply unbearable and I’m having such a hard time , not sleeping well at all . Yes the rest of our lives ! this is not a life ! there are some good days and mostly worrisome days , just a constant worry and stress … its so hard to try and help someone that believes he’s ok . He’s far from ok and I’m far from ok … I’m sorry , I’m just having a bad night too

2 Likes

I am happy today because my son sent me the receipts I needed to complete his SNAP review.

5 Likes

Hello Linda,
I am Queen of the bad nights! Although I do not live with my son Lou, I have great compassion for all of you on this site. It is just terrible that our children are robbed of their future and there seems to be no cure or comfort from this terrible disease.
At least we have each other to offer support. I hope today is a better day for you and your family.
AnnieNorCal .

4 Likes

Thank you Annie , I also don’t live with my son , he lives 20 min from me and still seems to get himself in trouble and like always I need to pick up the pieces … it’s so hard and I’m trying to be positive but “worry “ takes over me . Thank you for reaching out … gives me some comfort … hope you have a beautiful day

Linda

Last Fall, when my son noticed the cat lovers across the street had moved away, he wanted to start feeding the neighborhood cats.

He has since developed some paranoia about doing this, but I have continued putting out food, and he enjoys seeing them.

One of the cats brought a kitten along with her last Fall. That kitten is probably about 7 or 8 months now, and the mama got pregnant again.

I decided it was time to take action! Earlier this Spring, I trapped a total of 2 male cats, and the kitten from last year, and took them to the Trap-Neuter-Release program. They were neutered and returned to the neighborhood.

Mama had her kittens, and they are about 10 weeks old now. I just trapped the mama today, and took her over to be neutered, and am working on trapping the kittens - I will try to get them adopted.

Its nice to have other things to think about!

9 Likes

Glad to here it! How is Jeb doing on his own. Seems like things are going pretty well.

@Vallpen Where do you live where there are wild cats? I thought you were in LA? When we were in Israel there were stray cats everywhere.

Great news Hope no wonder you are happy.

I’m in a midwest state, and my son’s house is in an urban area.