Tell us how you are today?

@DianeR, @Cerium, @Vallpen, @Jan, @oldladyblue, thank you for your support and ideas. After 2 days straight of phone tag, texts, and email exchanges, we’re still not set, but we may have a temporary solution for the next injection or 2.

I’ve heard so many reasons why the clinics, pharmacies, my son’s new PCP staff, hospital day programs, etc. won’t do the injection, but my all time favorite was “The nurses here don’t feel comfortable doing that.” That one won the WTF award.

It really is ridiculous the hoops we’re supposed to jump through. It’s shameful. It’s already stressful enough.

There was a dad on this forum awhile back that did the injections for his two family members. There’s been talk of me getting that training (and hopefully my husband too), but it’s tricky with paranoid schizophrenia. I don’t want to make a mistake and become untrusted and “one of them”. Ugh. I worry about compliance going down the drain.

Another idea that’s been brought up is having a visiting nurse come to our house. We’ll see.

3 Likes

I had to give myself injections for years to treat my MS. I was using a subcutaneous (into the muscle) needle. Other objections go less deep. Not sure which kind is for your son’s drug. The point is, it’s easy to learn to do yourself. I had a nurse train me for the first one. You won’t mess it up.:grinning: Now getting him to let you do it may be its own challenge.

2 Likes

Always one more stupid thing in this business for us to have to work around. So glad you found a temporary solution.

Does make me wish that GSSP was a neighbor of yours - easy to picture him being willing to stop by and help out.

Jeb used to give himself injections that supported red blood cell production when his kidneys were failing.

2 Likes

Happy cake day @Cerium!

1 Like

The wtf are nurses for? I’ve never heard of a nurse not willing to give and injection. Glad you have found a few options.

1 Like

@DianeR… Oh, I’m sure they’ve all given plenty of injections. They just haven’t given THAT kind of injection. Apparently, they felt they needed “special training”.

2 Likes

Sad but true. My good friend is a nurse and there is no way she would refuse a patient, but she has worked in ER a lot.

@hope! Thank you! Happy Cake Day to you. Your good wishes mean a lot.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, Checking in for a moment. THANK YOU for all of your support and good wishes. Means so much to me.

1 Like

How am I today? I feel like I accomplished something big. I was lucky enough to be able to make a last minute dentist appointment for my son and he actually complied in going. He had a cleaning and even had XRays done. There was a lot of bleeding, but that was to be expected.

Now, I know this sort of “accomplishment” would be considered rediculous and nothing for a “regular” person out in the world, but I know that you all know this is big, something worthy of a champagne toast. Cheers.

I will sleep well tonight. I hope you will too.

7 Likes

Oh @Day-by-Day , I so agree with you that this is a big accomplishment: 1) last minute, 2) he actually went, 3) He didn’t walk away when you got there, and 4) wow, clean teeth and healthier gums! So great! Cheers.

3 Likes

Hot dang that is a big accomplishment!!! I would be sure I had slipped into some sort of other dimension if I was reporting news like yours!

A dental cleaning and x-rays…Cheers!

2 Likes

We are trying to find a psychiatrist that works with adolescents for my daughter… This is what her counselor suggested… my daughter is now 18 today, but the counselor thinks that we should look for one that works with adolescents since she is small for her age, and is concerned how medication would affect her, if she is treated as an adult just because she just turned 18…

So far the ones we have contacted are either not currently taking new patients or do not work with adolescents.

We are also going to talk to her about signing the form for HIPAA to allow the doctor to share information with us.

Her birthday is a stressful one, because she has a hard mid-term test today… and she has test anxiety.

1 Like

That Release of Information for HIPAA is so important- I hope your daughter will agree to continue to allow you to help her by knowing medical information. I worked hard to train my son in this regard as he became ill. So far he has agreed to it.
Stress-caused anxiety is horrible. My son is starting to suffer from it and is working hard to figure out how to handle it.
Good luck to you and happy birthday to your daughter.

2 Likes

I take a flower tincture called rescue remedy. May of us take it out here. That, exercise and deep breaths - which I’m sure you already know.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I love Rescue Remedy and even give it to my dog during the Fourth of July fireworks. Unfortunately my son is hospitalized long term and they won’t let him have any OTC vitamins or supplements other than what the doctor orders. I had to fight to get him Vit C and Vit D in high enough doses to do any good. So it is alternative methods OR PRN meds for him for now and he is learning about meditation, etc. I would love for him to be able to have Sarcosine or some of the other alternative remedies for some of his symptoms but we will have to wait until he is released and see how he is doing.

I gave it to my cat in his food. That didn’t work out. He threw it up. But I still take the pastilles when I get nervous. Thanks for the reminder about C and D. I’m glad to hear he’s interested in meditation. That could help for sure.

Congrats on this! I’ve been working on this one too!

1 Like

@oldladyblue, @hope, @DianeR… I think the critical element for success in getting follow through on the dental appointment was getting the appointment the day of, so the mood was right.

I don’t think having a pretty dental hygienist worked against us either.

3 Likes

Oh of course! That was a good coincidence

1 Like