The Efficacy of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy on Resilience among the Wives of Patients with Schizophrenia

CONCLUSION: Training MBCT strategies was effective on resilience in the wives of schizophrenia patients. Therefore, this approach can be incorporated into mental health-related interventions for the families of patients with psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia.

That’s an interesting think to think about.

I think I’m naturally resilient, because I seem to be able to get used to anything & continue to come up with new normals all the time.

I did read once that teaching your children to be resilient is one of the best ways to protect them from mental illness - basically so they can take things in stride & bounce back from setbacks. I think they were talking more about depression that serious mental illness, but I can see the value in it. I just don’t know how you teach it.

I’d almost be interested in taking something like this so that I could share some of the techniques with my son & hope it rubbed off on him a little bit.

I have started telling him that “I know he’s going to be OK because he’s tougher than that” and he’ll get a little smile - I’m trying to show him I have confidence in him & I’m not worries so that he’ll feel the same way.

The latest was last night when he was saying how much he wanted a cigarette in the hospital last night. The hard part for me will be to know when that’s the right thing to say, and when it’s better to sympathize more with him - I certainly don’t want that to turn into my form of “Shake it Off” or “Pull yourself out of it” like people try to tell depressed people to “just get over it”.

2 Likes