Treatment advice or suggestions

Hello. I am writing to see if anyone has any suggestions of a medication regimen that includes Risperidone that may be beneficial for my boyfriend. He was diagnosed about 3 years ago. He’s very high functioning. If you don’t know him on a personal level to the point that he is comfortable talking to you about his delusional or paranoid thoughts and beliefs you wouldn’t believe he was truly schizophrenic. But the past couple months he’s been declining. He’s very good at hiding it. He manages to work a full time job. He’s basically able to go into an autopilot like state and complete the necessary tasks for the day, but then he comes home and falls apart. He doesn’t know what’s real, he thinks everyone hates him, I don’t love him, everyone’s watching him. It’s just getting worse. The decline had been slow for about 4 or 5 months but it’s been at a pretty steady low for about 3 weeks now. This past year he’s tried a few different med changes. He switched to abilify, that made things worse. He tried a newer medication, caplyta. That didn’t work. He’s been on many other things in the past but Risperidone seemed to work the best but the past few months it’s hasn’t been enough. But eveytime they switch it he responds terribly. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of anything that works well with it? He works so he can’t take anything too sedating. I’ve worked in mental health for over 10 years so I have a very good understanding of the illness, but I’m at a loss of what else I can do to help him. So any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I can’t give treatment advice. But, I wanted to say that your son is probably paranoid at work too, but then let’s his guard down at home. When I used to work, I was able to appear like I wasn’t paranoid and psychotic even though I was. I’m no longer able to work because I’m too paranoid to leave my house much. I only go if my husband is with me. I just think your son needs to try different meds again. Or try a different dose

Thanks for your reply. It’s my boyfriend, but you’re absolutely right. He is paranoid at work. He’s just able to power through it for some reason. You’re probably right, he is comfortable at home and let’s his guard down. I hope he is able to continue to work for his sake. I think he would be devastated if he wasn’t able to. But whatever happens, we’ll face it when the time comes.

1 Like