What to do until insurance kicks in?

Hello, I am in need of some advice. My boyfriends brother has schizophrenia. He has been in and out of jail for petty crimes like using monopoly money, someone reporting him in the neighborhood as suspicious, and violating probation. Now he recently was released from jail after being there a year. He did not get the treatment he needed while in there. Since he has been out he has been leaving the house, which is understandable he is a grown man that has been incarcerated for a year he wants to be free and be a man, but he has been known to expose his self in the neighborhood. So we try to keep him in the house, but he still sneaks out sometimes while we are sleeping. He also has been very aggressive to his siblings and his mother. We have taken him to the emergency psych hospital to get temporary treatment, but of course they release him because they need the space. My question is what are we supposed to do until medicaid kicks in? We have been told that it can take up to 6 months for him to be enrolled. Also I would love to know information about any day centers in Georgia after he finally gets medicated.

It might help people respond if you could say what exactly it is you want Medicaid for at this time?

Sorry I guess I shouldnt have assumed. We need medicaid to kick in so he can get his medicine.

I would call the Georgia crisis line and see whether they can guide your brother; I found this link and it looks like our state’s website for the same thing:

https://dbhdd.georgia.gov/adult-mental-health

Detail from link: call the Georgia Crisis & Access Line at 1-800-715-4225 or visit www.mygcal.com.

Did the er psych hospital staff write the prescription you need filled for him? Can you contact the hospital and ask for their social worker on staff? Hospital social workers often can file for a kind of emergency status that will provide him with coverage for his meds while the application is being processed.

Hi I live in Ohio on the Cleveland area. They have three major health care systems. I at one time got prorated at one and I think all three will. So I don’t know what major health care systems you have in Georgia but you may want to call and see if they can base it on your income. I ended up paying nothing for care. I have also been to mental healthcare clinics that are based it on your income. I was treated at the state mental hospital for free and then they found me care for free afterwards. I don’t know if you live in a rural or metropolitan area in Georgia? You may have more options available if you live near a big city.