Will someone know they are becoming Schizophernic

I apologize if the family section isn’t the right place for this but I was seeking information and it kind of ties into my family and family history.

I was wondering if it’s possible for someone to know if they are becoming Schizophernic. I have at least 4 blood relatives with Schizopherneria and in all their cases they didn’t seem to want to think they were ill. With 4 blood relatives, one including my mother i was told that I have a fairly significant risk of developing the illness myself. Now I’ve spent most my life around people with schizophrenia and I’m wondering if that will help me indentify the symptoms in myself should I ever start to become ill.

I apologize for my ignorance. Despite being very close with my family who are afflicted I come from a very rural area in northern Canada and don’t have much first hand experience outside my family

1 Like

@Cao-Cao my initial response to your question is what a good question!, the second response I have is based on my experience with my sz son and schizoaffective sister is that it is unlikely most people will know the disease is imminent by the nature of the illness it diminishes insight and self awareness. Having said that I am a huge supporter of proactive health in all of it’s forms and I believe that in many cases forewarned is forearmed. I don’t advise self diagnosis because sometimes we misread things in our behavior when they are quite normal and often situational. I do believe first and foremost to reduce your life stress as much as you can, get plenty of rest and eat good whole foods and make time for quiet reflection whenever possible and read up on the illness and if you are still worried that you fit the criteria for a schizophrenic then please see a mental health professional as soon as you can and have them evaluate you properly. That is the only way to know for sure. Here is a helpful link on early signs of schizophrenia. By the way you are very wise to ask this question and to be so self aware, Schizophrenia.com - Schizophrenia symptoms, possible early warning signs

3 Likes