Would anybody rent a place to my son

My son is homeless. Denies treatment and has no insight. He is delusional but functional. He lives in another state., Maryland. As winter is a few months away I would like to find him a place for him to at least sleep. I would pay for something basic… He doest not want to go to shelters. Would anybody rent a place to a person like him?

Yes, there are people who rent rooms or apartments who are compassionate to those with MI. I helped a friend of mine (who has a son with SMI) to find him a place. I was honest with the landlords I contacted, who were really only concerned that the rent would be paid and the other tenants would not be disturbed. You should be able to find him a place.

1 Like

thanks for your kind words . I hope I can find something.

1 Like

I hope you find something easily, but if not, keep trying as there will be someone out there who will rent to you/him. I’m sorry you are going through this problem.

My 48-year-old son diagnosed with SFI paranoid Sczhizophrenia is currently in a group home with the county mental health agency.

He is doing much better.

Don’t give up! It took 20 years before I could say she’s more stable on meds and we’d with housing.

2 Likes

My son with schizophrenia lives in residential
care with mental health services including psychiatry, a psychologist, medical doctor, meds, exercise program, dietician and provided meals and activities. He has his own room. This after being homeless, non med compliant, self medicating, multiple hospital stays and a severe accident from his mental illness. We tried living at home, group homes, wrap services, his own apartment and nothing compares to the stability this current program has offered. It took 2 years to stabilize him with no hospitalizations. After nearly a decade of mayhem, we have our son back. He likes it there and he’s safe. My point being if you’re going to pay for housing find a program that offers care for mental illness. Housing is easy to find but not a long term solution to schizophrenia. It takes a 24/7 village of educated clinicians to manage this disease safely. It’s well worth the cost, peace of mind and wellness.

8 Likes

Where do you live that you have access to these services? We live in Wisconsin. Our son with schizoaffective is connected with the county program. He has a case worker and AODA counselor who sort of keep track of him. He gets monthly injections and picks up his oral meds twice a week. But he lives alone in low income housing and we constantly live in fear of being evicted. He does not clean his home. He continues to have minor relapses with drugs and alcohol. I wish we had a more comprehensive program like yours.

1 Like

I recommend applying for disability. I know it’s a long process but worth it in the end. It opens up so many other services such as low income housing.

He is not cooperating with getting services. That makes everything difficult

Sounds like you are describing my boyfriend.

Where and how did you get access to this kind of help? My son has been in and out of the hospital so many times in the last couple of years; many years ago he was at a group home right here in town for a year, at that time it was part of the court ordered agreement; years after I decided he didn’t learn well to stay on his meds and I decided it was time for him to go to a facility that it was kind of a nursing home but after 5 months in one of those days that we brought him for a weekend he didn’t want to go back and I really couldn’t blame him since that facility was really the ‘pits’; not that I was expecting it to be a 5 star rated place but not so depilated either and they wanted to have the patients so drugged up that they wouldn’t be a bother for anyone else, it was really like a place where there’s just not hope at all to ever see the light again.

Now he’s just not taking his meds and leaves the house early and comes back home late at night, he spends the day with a friend; the supporting team is trying to hook him up to his meds but he’s not cooperating; he wants to change payees ( right now the payee is his father) and he calls SSA around 2-3 am to complain that he doesn’t see his money; apparently he agreed to have the CSP, community support program, as a payee so I hope they pressure him into taking his meds.

Looks like the facility you mentioned is the right place for someone like my son as well

Is that place close to your home?

We are in IL and we have tried but it is what it is, we might need to educate ourselves lots more.

1 Like

Though my heart aches reading your post, I have to say that your situation is almost identical to my experience with my 50-year-old son.

We support each other here at SZ com.
better than anything I’ve found during the constant search for help/love/support.

Blessings from Vermont

1 Like