My adult son has schizophrenia

Hello,

I’m new to this site, and my adult son has Schizophrenia and is very often paranoid.

He recently moved out of the family home for reasons, I may share with you in future, I’m concerned about him because he has isolated himself from me and no longer wants to see me or communicate in any way. He does maintain a very close relationship with his mother. She travels out of town regularly to visit and support him. Hopefully she will also join this forum.

My reasons for joining the forum include a desire to share our story but most importantly to hear yours, and obtain guidance, support and help

Thanks,

Jer.

Hi Jerry. Like you I am also new to this site and my adult son has severe schizophrenia, paranoid and severe ocd. Temp. he is living with me til he can get into community based supportive housing or it is decided he needs to go into hospital. This is such a demoralizing illness and isolation as you know doesn’t help. Does your son see a psychiatrist, and therapist on a regular basis? What medications seem to help him. I’m looking for medication that has helped others and that might help my son. Like you, I worry, But despite a grim picture, I remain hopeful.
I hope your situation has improved. Be glad to share. elaj

4 Likes

How can I find the type of housing you mentioned? My 32 yr old sz son has lived in an apt that do not want him back & is now terrorizing the 4 tenants & landlord where he lives, I’m sure he’ll be asked to leave soon. He cannot live alone, but refuses to admit himself in a hospital. I have been reading a lot of stories/situations & everyone mentions their family member is living in assisted living or boarding home, etc. I want to know how the found one. Everywhere I call, there is no help because he doesn’t have insurance. You people do not know how fortunate you are because I come up with deadends. I can only dream about him living somewhere where he will get some help.

1 Like

I am also new here. My son was diagnosed this past Dec. with paranoid sz. Problem is he doesn’t think he’s sick and therefore, would not consider living in a group home. Hi lives with me but it has been so hard on me being a single parent. He attends the Early Psychosis Program in Halifax but only because it is a condition of his probation which is up in October. He did try to take meds, but the side effects are worse than the illness itself. I also dream about him living somewhere where he will get help but first he has to except he is sick. I would hope that his health care team would make arrangements regarding housing. Here, as far as I know, a sick loved one could go on social assistance and that is what would pay for his living in a group home, not insurance. I was manager of a community care home in NL that housed 18 mentally ill people and all but 2 received social assistance. Although I’m sure it differs depending on what province or state a person lives.

3 Likes

In the US, most people who live in group homes seem to be on Medicaid and/or Medicare, have SSI and/or SSA and find out about the group home through a case manager or state agency…

2 Likes

Does he have a Psychiatrist or SW? Though no insurance, he can get help through state. It takes much persistance to get him help, but please call you state department of mental health for help. And trust me, I know how frustrating this all can be . Especially difficult when he doesn’t want help or lacks ability to see that he needs help. Don’t give up.

1 Like

He did have psychiatrist at one time w/Cntr for Health Care Srvcs, but since he was in jail for last 6 mos, he was dropped. The way that worked, we sat for hrs to get to talk to someone (which is ok w/me, but not him), then we were told we can’t help because they have too many cases & it’s not priority. I insisted he needed help, then the case worker said since he was on parole, that was enough to set him up as a patient. He did well until he was arrested for parole violation, cussed out parole officer, destroyed gov’t property (trashed her office, broke her door). Thank you for your support.

Hi Jerry, my son had a period where he never call D me and was generally hostile when I managed to get him on the phone but it is all over now. Our relationship is fine. Never give up. Eventually it will get better.

3 Likes

Always good to hear, it seems like we might be moving into a rough patch again…

1 Like

I’d also like to know about meds that work. My son was just stated on depot Invega Sustaina. It is not exactly keepin him from psychosis but it might take another month. Don’t know, we just take it a day at a time.

It’s individual, Mom2. My son didn’t get on with risperdal (too sedating), anti-depressants made him manic and psychotic but a fairly low dose of Abilify as a depot injection keeps him stable, in a good mood and able to study. He is also taking sarcosine as a supplement.

1 Like

Thank you for the offer to share,Its hard to talk about D’s story and how it has affected the family.
I don’t know where to start and what to reveal and it’s so hard for me to even sit here at my computer “thinking” about what to say without tearing up and getting so emotional. he makes an hour long trip by Go bus to see his Pdoc, in Toronto. He is currently on Seroquel (400 mg?) His next visit is on Friday and he has been attending with his Mother M., regularly and seems to have developed a good raport with his Pdoc. More to come, as I get the “hang” of sharing etc. thanks for the reply!

3 Likes

Unfortunately every medication seems to work differently on different people. There are some relatively (past few years) DNA tests that can help identify the best medication for a given person. See info below:

This may be covered by insurance - check if this is relevant for your son or daughter.

Full list of antipsychotic medications is here: