Bootstraps:housing woes

Update: went to visit sz ex, and he is doing pretty good considering his pending eviction.

We sorted his clothes and got rid of 3 huge garbage bags worth. He is a bit of a clothes horse. So that was good.

His room, which I never did get inside, is a sea of papers on the floor, lots of furniture, and who knows what else. He keeps the shutters closed so it’s kinda dark and murky.

He still doesn’t have a place to move into. He got hooked up with a case worker and she put him on a list for affordable housing. One option he has is a trailer at small campground run by a Conservative Christian couple. He’s says he’s not sure he could handle that.

3 Likes

I’m glad he has the trailer option - at least that is a place even if he is unsure.

Yes, @Jan it could be a temporary place until other housing comes through! I’m sure this is frightful for him, but you are being a great advocate! Listen respectfully to his fears if he wants to vocalize them. As someone else on this site who lives with SZ has said, people living with SMI want to be heard. There are ways to talk with the person about those fears/delusions and if you ask the person sincere and respectful questions, like a reporter, the person sometimes comes to their own conclusion that they cannot validate the factuality of what they fear (even if they don’t openly admit it). Perhaps that will give him some peace, with whatever his next step might end up being. (See “How to Talk to a Delusional Person” somewhere on this Forum)

Thanks. I have been dealing w his delusions and fears for 20+ years!

I’m glad at this point he is keeping it together.

1 Like

Update: he is renting the trailer. He’s a little worried about space and neighbors but it’s better than going to a homeless shelter. He’s also warmed to the storage facility, so that helps him feel that his things are secure.
I feel relieved and hope he can complete the move without too many problems.

6 Likes

I’m glad he was willing to accept your help and I hope you are both able to relax a little now.

He is unlucky to have his illness but he is so very lucky to have you still willing to help him out in a crisis.

5 Likes

Yes, that is true and I want to agree with you completely. To settle everything, it is better to conclude a lease agreement https://lawrina.com/templates/lease-agreement/.
Sometimes, even if you understand that this is your family and you should trust each other, it is better that everything is legally confirmed and you do not have discord in the family later. So you will have a clear argument for housing, and if someone does not follow the rules, then the relevant authorities can be pulled out to regulate this conservation.