Delusions related to food

My son seems to have delusions related to food. He refuses to eat anything made from bread or grains. He pretty much will only eat deli sliced ham. He was also eating cashews but he told me that he ate “the wrong kind” the other day and they made him feel bad so now he doesn’t eat them. He also refused to eat some of the ham I bought him because it was the wrong kind. He doesn’t articulate what he means by something being the wrong kind, it just is.
I was looking up food delusions online to see if this was a common behavior with schizophrenia but didn’t find much. What I did find however was information on how the Keto diet has seemed to work to reduce and in some cases remove symptoms. Anyone heard this or gave experience with it?

1 Like

Good clean eating helps with mood in general not just people who suffer from SMI. Fresh foods are better than processed foods with a lots of weird ingredients. Less sugar is better and results in improved health.

1 Like

When I thought I had cancer in psych hospital I thought that my osophagus had split from my stomach
The peanuts I tried to eat, I thought were going into the spaces between my ribs
Then I thought pot noodle liquid and tried to eat chilli sauce because it was food but the little bits in them weren’t too bad
Then I thought that the lamb mint sauce had coke in it for me, but I tried it and threw it in the sink
I would have a craving for vegan pate (the yeasty stuff) but all I told my mum was pate… I could not remember the taste I was craving for but rejected the wrong type of pate… without knowing why it was wrong

4 cups of coffee tea at a time was a staple every hour or so
I had some Psychogenic polydipsia where I drank so much if I had carried on it could have killed me…
Quite a few people get this, after long term schizophrenia

1 Like

Diet won’t affect schizophrenia very much and I think keto can sometimes be quite bad for health
Sometimes it can be used to lose a lot of weight very quickly but that is usually put Back on being on a healthy diet as you can manage is important because medications increase appetite
Only thing to stop psychosis really is antipsychotics

1 Like

It is in regards regulating glutamate and insulin rather than dopamine. I guess it’s a stretch considering there isn’t more out there about it but definitely interesting.

I’ve tried keto dieting for an entirely different reason, although vaguely SZ related. I’m in the process of transitioning off of it, as it is hard on the kidneys. The holidays are a good time for this as there seems an unending supply of carb-heavy foods about.

I was in it more for weight-loss and blood sugar control. Both were up either due to AP medication or genetics or a bit of both. It was effective for me on both scores, but I’ve reached diminishing returns when my BMI approached the border of overweight and ‘normal’.

I could see where limiting carbs would inherently change insulin and glutamate levels. There’s been some gluten implicated studies over the years, but as with much of the supplement studies, I find them far from as conclusive as AP medication studies. For the most part diet and supplements probably won’t hurt unless people feel justified going off of other medications or become obsessive about food and dieting. Personally I didn’t see benefits symptom-wise, but I’m to the point my symptoms are mild to nonexistent, so it’s hard to tell.

1 Like

Talk about the types of things he’d like to eat first. Then walk through the grocery with him (if it’s reasonable…) and you guys can focus on those areas… with your help.

1 Like

Hey MB!.. not sure where you live geographically (weather) but what you’re proposing as far as keeping your blood sugar regulated seems like it’s key as with a lot of us.
Physical activity wanes… (if you’re in a seasonal place and you experience cold shit) and we sometimes require some motivation…
You actually make me consider, my MI partner… has he ever been for blood work that would suggest any other simple medical factors such as glucose levels or maybe run a thyroid? Getting heavy in quarantine isn’t unusual… neither is weight loss… I’ll venture to say most of us have first hand experience… whichever way…
Note: I use the term “us” and “we” simply as a general term to encompass all people, physiological, mental, emotional, and physical.
If you’ve a known and diagnosed or unknown condition and feel that you’re in need of immediate medical response, please call your local emergency number.